The Pollak Library at California State University Fullerton, invites applications for a 12-month, tenure-track Student Success Librarian (starting rank: Senior Assistant Librarian) to join its dedicated community of librarians, staff, and student assistants, with a starting appointment of June 2019.
The Pollak Library serves over 40,000 students as well as approximately 4,000 faculty and staff. The website (http://www.library.fullerton.
The Student Success Librarian is responsible for building campus partnerships and creating strategies to form cross campus collaboration with programs and groups such as First-Year Experience, Diversity Centers, and transfer and graduate students, to develop, assess, and maintain library services and instruction that contribute to student success and engagement. The librarian in this position will also serve as a liaison to departments in line with the candidate’s educational and research background and library needs. This position—newly created in response to Pollak Library’s recent re-organization, self-assessment, and strategic plan—will have the opportunity to be creative and innovative in Library Student Success initiatives.
Librarians at CSUF have faculty status and are expected to meet promotion and tenure requirements, including scholarly and professional activities, as well as serving on department, Library, and university committees. Our retention, tenure, and promotion process is based on your librarianship role, scholarship, and service. You can see our current guidelines here: http://www.fullerton.edu/far/_
- Build relationships with both academic and non-academic units across campus to raise awareness about the ways the library can serve as an essential partner in facilitating the success of undergraduate students.
- Represent the library in the creation and re-visioning of first-year experience programs, online orientations, and department student success centers.
- Coordinate orientation programs and information literacy programs for first-year and transfer students.
- Coordinate assessment of library student success initiatives and participate in assessment of campus-wide initiatives.
- Participate in the library’s Reference and Instruction services, and liaison program, providing outreach to one or more academic departments.
- Serve on university-wide committees engaged in research on student success.
- Engage in scholarship and service to the University and the profession.
- Master’s degree in library science or equivalent (MSLS, MLIS, MALS etc.) from a library school program accredited by the American Library Association is required by start of appointment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of trends, methods and best practices in undergraduate student engagement and success.
- Demonstrated potential to achieve tenure through effective job performance and scholarly and service activities.
- Ability to effectively participate in the library’s liaison program in the areas of research consultation, outreach, and instruction.
- Ability to work collaboratively with public and academic librarians and staff, teaching faculty, and students in a rapidly changing information environment.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, design, and implement innovative projects or services.
- Experience and/or demonstrated ability in reference and instruction.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience or ability to work effectively and collegially with a diverse population (age, culture, socioeconomic, orientation, etc.) of students, faculty, and staff.
- Demonstrated success in outreach and cultivating successful relationships with diverse campus stakeholders to promote library initiatives.
- Demonstrated skills in designing promotional materials.
- Experience designing and implementing library programming such as orientation events.
- Experience with information literacy instruction, including the development of student learning outcomes and lesson plans.
- Demonstrated understanding of issues faced by first generation, non-traditional, and/or underrepresented student populations
Rank & Salary
The position will be at the rank of Senior Assistant Librarian. Salary range will be from $67,656 to $72,000 commensurate with experience and qualifications. Excellent comprehensive benefits are available and include health/vision/dental plans, optional 10/12 month work year; defined-benefit retirement through the state system, along with optional tax-sheltering opportunities; as well as access to campus child-care, based on availability of openings. For a detailed description of benefits, go to http://hr.fullerton.edu/payrol
June 1, 2019
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://apps.fullerton.edu/fac
- Letters of interest (relating your experience to the required
- Curriculum vitae
- A statement of commitment in working with a diverse student, faculty,
colleagues, and community.
- Three letters of reference (see instruction below)
On the References page of the online application, enter information and email
addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of
reference for your application. They will immediately receive a request via
email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to
verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back in to the
Please direct all questions about the position to: Katie Steben at
email@example.com or call 657-278-4067.
For full consideration, all application materials should be received by March
31, 2019. The position will remain open until filled.
California State University, Fullerton is the largest of 23 campuses, which
comprise the California State University system. The campus is located in
northern Orange County, convenient to numerous cultural and recreational sites
throughout Southern California. As a comprehensive university, CSUF offers
baccalaureate degrees in 57 fields of knowledge, graduate (master’s level)
work in 52 programs, credential programs for teachers, and doctoral degrees in
education (Ed.D.) and nursing practice (DNP). The University’s Web site is
located at: http://www.fullerton.edu.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed
satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU.
Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect application
status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who
apply for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the
California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply
with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of
California State University Fullerton celebrates all forms of diversity and is
deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment within which students,
staff, administrators and faculty thrive. Individuals interested in advancing
the University’s strategic diversity goals are strongly encouraged to apply.
EEO employer. Reasonable accommodations will be provided for qualified
applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.