LAC Group is seeking a Reference Librarian for a full-time role working at a federal agency located in Beltsville, MD. The Librarian will provide in-person and virtual reference service, create online research guides, and respond to complex reference questions. Work will be performed on site. This position comes with full benefits and requires U.S. citizenship.
- Provide reference services through regular duty at the reference desk and by responding to virtual information requests using a wide variety of databases.
- Edit and update wikis (including Wikipedia) with information from special collections that showcase rural America
- Support research and information request pertaining to the heritage and culture of rural America
- Respond to complex reference questions, including conducting systematic literature searches.
- Prepare online research guides on education topics by working closely with the client and designing a user-based architecture.
- Review the metadata and suggests improvements; report on findings and progress.
- Contribute to outreach activities to promote the use of the agency’s services and collections.
- Stay abreast of information needs and trends; stay abreast of trends in library and information technology.
- Manage or contribute to special projects as assigned.
- Master’s degree in library and information science from an ALA-accredited college or university.
- Experience in provision of reference services.
- Experience preparing pathfinders, and modifying or editing web-based subject guides
- Experience preparing broken web-links
- Experience improving overall web content and contributing ideas to improve user experience
- Experience using Google Analytics to produce and present detailed reports on specific information
- Ability to write useful search strategies for online databases
- Ability to recommended improved taxonomies for indexing
- Preferred: demonstrated knowledge of agricultural topics such as rural communities, water quality and agricultural ecosystems.
- Experience writing and preparing reports
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Attention to detail; demonstrated organizational skills.
- Experience working in a customer service capacity.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- U.S. citizenship required.