Iowa Wesleyan College seeks an innovative, collaborative, service oriented librarian to fill the position of Reference Instruction and E-services Librarian. This tenure track position will collaborate with librarians, faculty, and administrators to identify, create, implement, and promote innovative online tools and services for both on campus and off campus users in the area of library instruction tutorials, videos, and other media to enhance student learning of library research skills and information literacy. The Reference Instruction and E-Services Librarian will maintain the Library’s online presence including the Library home page, access to online resources, and other bibliographic services. Some evening and weekend hours will be necessary. Candidates are sought who are committed to working in a collaborative environment and eager to participate in the daily life of a small liberal arts college. Early career librarians are encouraged to apply.
Description of Responsibilities
- Creates electronic instruction materials that foster the development of student library/information literacy skills via mechanisms including active learning classroom techniques, interactive online tutorials, screencasts and videos primarily using open source technologies
- Identify, implement, and assess emerging technologies that support information literacy and learning and provides info lit instruction virtually and face to face.
- Assist in the evolution and integration of traditional and electronic workflows, with particular emphasis on ebooks, liaising with e-vendors regarding technical issues, ongoing maintenance of the ILS, website, and other electronic resources
- Participate in providing reference assistance for on-site and electronic reference, including some evening and weekend shifts.
Education & Experience (Required Qualifications)
- ALA-accredited master’s degree in Library Science (MLS) awarded by date of appointment
- Demonstrated experience with emerging technologies and information literacy best practices applicable to face to face and online pedagogical practices
- Working knowledge of a wide variety of information technology applications and proficiency in the use of general and subject-specific print and electronic resources
- Experience with electronic resource management, integrated library systems, course management systems, social networking technologies, remote authentication, resources linking, online course delivery, and other emerging technologies
- Demonstrated skill with online environments such content management systems (i.e. WordPress, LibGuides, etc.); learning managements systems (i.e. LearningHouse, Blackboard, moodle). Familiarity of lesson building software (i.e. Adobe Captivate, SoftChalk, Articulate, etc.) is a plus.
- Excellent communication skills, a strong customer service orientation and experience working with diverse populations
- We seek a motivated self-starter who possesses a high level of energy, flexibility, and creativity with the ability to work independently and collaboratively, and manage a complex workload in a timely and effective manner.
Please submit a letter of interest, current resume, unofficial transcripts, 3-5 references, and a portfolio of two or three samples of their work in instructional design. Materials should be directed to: Dr. Jeffrey Fager, Academic Dean, Iowa Wesleyan College,601 North Main Street, Mt. Pleasant, IA 52461. Phone: 319-385-6205. Electronic submissions are preferred: email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. EOE
Date of Appointment: July 1, 2013