The Alabama Department of Archives and History (ADAH) is seeking applications for a reference archivist position. The reference archivist will provide reference assistance to a diverse audience consisting of historians, academic researchers, state and local officials, attorneys, genealogists, members of the media, students from the secondary to the college level, and the general public. This assistance is given by providing personal consultation in the ADAH reference room; answering research questions through telephone, online, and mail; making presentations concerning resources; and conducting tours for researchers and students.
- Provides research assistance to patrons who visit the reference room
- Performs research for off-site reference requests by using catalogs, finding-aids, databases, genealogical resources, and personal knowledge of the holdings of the ADAH
- Provides support to ADAH public programs and outreach efforts as assigned
- Prepares and presents lectures and talks to historical and genealogical societies, school groups, and other organizations
- Participates in departmental committees to assist with the creation and implementation of departmental programs, policies, and procedures
- Works two Saturdays per month to oversee reference room operation
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of reference sources for historical materials and the ability to utilize them
- Knowledge of how to conduct in-depth research using primary and secondary source materials
- Knowledge of U. S. history, Alabama history, and government
- Knowledge of archival theory and practice
- Customer service skills
- Ability to express ideas clearly, both orally and in writing
- Ability to use computer programs and automated databases
- Ability to process basic financial transactions
- Ability to work well with a diverse population
- Ability to work with the public on a sustained basis and as a member of a team
- Ability to work both independently and in group/team settings
- Ability to deliver oral presentations
- Ability to lift and carry boxes weighing up to 40 pounds
While this position is the only one currently approved for appointment, the state accepts applications to the archivist classification on a continuous basis and the ADAH anticipates making additional hires to work in reference, as well as records management. If you are interested in any archival position with the State of Alabama, we encourage you to submit an application to the Alabama State Personnel Department by May 15, 2019.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in history, political science, government or a related field PLUS
- Two graduate level courses in archival administration
- One year’s professional experience in archival or records management work.
- Candidates lacking graduate courses or experience to qualify for the merit system position may alternatively qualify for a Professional Trainee appointment leading to appointment in a merit position.
- A valid driver’s license.
To apply for this position, please submit:
- State of Alabama Job Application form and academic transcript of all college work to State Personnel by the COB on Wednesday, May 15, 2019.
- Copy of state application, resume, and cover letter to Nancy Dupree at firstname.lastname@example.org. The cover letter should include availability and any salary requirements.
Candidates will be selected for interview based on the information submitted and their standing on the state register, with an anticipated hiring date in early summer 2019.
To be offered employment as an archivist at ADAH applicants must be on the state personnel register, so please submit applications to Alabama State Personnel by the deadline.
- State of Alabama Job Application form is available at http://www.personnel.alabama.gov/Downloads/StateApp.pdf
- Questions about the application process may be answered at http://www.personnel.alabama.gov/Downloads/OESHelpDoc.pdf
All questions or requests for further information about this position or the application process should be directed to:
Alabama Department of Archives and History
P.O. Box 300100
Montgomery, AL 36130-0100