The University Library at California State University Dominguez Hills invites applications for a Tenure-track position at the rank of 12-month Senior Assistant Librarian. The CSUDH University Library fosters student success, scholarly research, and academic excellence through the provision of user-centered services, collaborations, and learning experiences. We value out-of-the-box thinking, innovation, risk-taking, and team-work in order to create an ideal environment where our campus community can thrive.
The University Library at California State University, Dominguez Hills seeks an innovative, enthusiastic, collaborative, and service-minded Open Education Librarian to join the Reference, Instruction, and Outreach Services, team. The successful candidate will:
- Provide leadership, develop and coordinate initiatives and services designed to support raising awareness, adoption, and creation of open educational resources (OER).
- Develop strategic partnerships with various campus stakeholders and work closely with them to both promote the use of OER and to support their integration into the curriculum.
- Engage in and create OER-related programming and outreach efforts, including leading workshops, faculty learning communities, etc. focused on OER and related topics, such as open pedagogy.
- As the CSU Affordable Learning Solutions (AL$) Coordinator for the campus, this position, in collaboration with Library Administration, allocates the annual AL$ budget for programming and stipends, as well as identifies library-purchased resources that would have a high impact on learning, affordability, and student success.
- Assist faculty in finding and appropriately using OER that align with their courses through both consultations and the development of online resources (e.g., guides and tutorials).
- Develop methods for assessing and reporting DH¿s progress in adopting OER and the library’s role in supporting and promoting their use.
- Keep abreast of the latest developments, trends, and best practices related to OER.
- Liaise with CSU system, regional, and national OER programs and communities of practice.
- Provide guidance to faculty on open licensing and copyright in collaboration with the Digital Initiatives Librarian.
- Participate in the library’s liaison program, providing general reference, research consultations, instruction, collection development, and outreach to assigned departments.
- Engage in professional development activities in support of the library and its OER related initiatives.
- Engage in service to the library, the university, and the profession by participating in committees, task forces, and professional organizations.
The Open Education Librarian will provide leadership, vision, and support for the University Library’s open educational resources program. In collaboration with library colleagues, campus partners, and Affordable Learning Solutions personnel at the Chancellor’s Office, the Open Education Librarian will continue the University Library’s efforts to develop initiatives, processes, and services that facilitate the discovery, adoption, creation, and adaptation of OER. The incumbent will be a member of the Research, Instruction, and Outreach Services Department and thus will have reference, instruction, liaison, and collection development responsibilities. In addition, library faculty members are expected to engage in scholarship and service to the university and the profession.
- Master’s degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited institution or an appropriate equivalent.
- Demonstrated familiarity with issues revolving around open education, open textbooks, open access, open licensing, and copyright.
- Ability to effectively participate in the library’s liaison program in the areas of research consultation, collections, instruction, and outreach.
- Leadership ability, strong problem-solving skills, and commitment to continuous learning.
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities and to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to carry out complex projects in a rapidly changing environment.
- A positive attitude and excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated potential to meet the requirements for tenure and promotion under the library’s criteria for professional performance, scholarship, and service.
- Experience working with library users of various ages from diverse socioeconomic, cultural, and academic backgrounds.
Preferred /Desired Qualifications
- Experience preparing and delivering workshops and presentations to a faculty audience.
- Familiarity with California legislation related to OER (e.g., SB 1359, AB 798, SB 1053, etc.).
- Project management experience.
- Evidence of flexibility and innovative thinking.
The position is open until filled. Review of applications will begin in May 2019. For full consideration please submit your completed application no later than May 10, 2019
Register your online application at New & Returning Applicants athttps://www.csudh.edu/hr/job-opportunities/index and submit the following in a single pdf file for job #3054:
– Current Curriculum Vitae with contact information
– Cover letter
– List of 3 references with contact information
– Unofficial transcripts (an official transcript will be required for the finalist)
Appointment will be at the rank of Senior Assistant Librarian – 12 Month, and salary will be dependent upon qualifications and professional experience. The CSU salary schedule for Senior Assistant Librarian begins at $65,364 annually.