The Immersive Technologies Librarian’s primary focus is the creation of Studio X, a program and space for students, staff, and faculty to explore augmented, extended, mixed, and virtual reality (XR) and related technologies. The purpose of Studio X is to inspire innovative and interdisciplinary engagement, and to facilitate the development of a rich community of practice for XR, an area that is a strategic research priority at the University of Rochester. With the support of a range of collaborators within the libraries and beyond, the Immersive Technologies a Librarian designs and delivers an exploratory program that introduces students and faculty to tools, approaches, and technologies that make up XR, with an eye towards transforming coursework, inspiring new research directions, and providing support to innovative student and faculty projects. The Immersive Technologies Librarian will be part of a team designing Studio X, which is set to open in 2020, and will take on the responsibility of designing and bringing programming and support services into the space.
The Immersive Technologies Librarian joins the Digital Scholarship Lab, a team already consulting on XR projects and is deeply engaged in innovative research and teaching. This role has as peers Outreach Librarians already providing on-ramp programming on a range of research and technology skills. These peers will join forces with the Immersive Technologies Librarian to find key curricular connections, and partner on creating and delivering XR programming initiatives.
Areas of Responsibility:
XR Workshops, Events, Training, and other Academic Programming: 25%
- In collaboration with Outreach Librarians, Digital Scholarship Lab colleagues, and other collaborators, design and implement a learning and exploration program in XR technologies, methodologies, and critical theoretical approaches that meets the needs of students and faculty across disciplines
- Explore connections with the curriculum
- Build relationships with key faculty with research and teaching interests in XR to explore potential programs and initiatives
- Design and implement learning opportunities for library staff in order to build XR capacity in current and potential collaborators
XR and Digital Scholarship Consultation: 20%
- Consult with faculty interested in utilizing XR technologies and methodologies in their research
- Participate in interdisciplinary project teams in support of digital scholarship projects
- Explore ways to offer consultation and one-on-one support services through Studio X, with support from leadership across the libraries as required
XR Student Employee Management: 20%
- Mentor student-employees supporting Studio X programming and projects
- Design and deliver training for student employees supporting XR across the libraries
Studio X Space Management: 10%
- Help consult on the design, development, and maintenance of the Studio space
- Assess programming and activities to meet evolving needs of faculty and students engaged in XR
Professional Development: 15%
- Stay current of trends in XR and emerging digital scholarship technologies, tools, and methodologies
- Maintain good knowledge of existing exemplary work, projects, best practices, conferences, professional literature, and key players in XR and XR support
- Share key learning as appropriate with DSL and Outreach colleagues
Miscellaneous Duties: 10%
- Participate in and support fundraising and grant writing initiatives
- Participate in and contributes towards River Campus Libraries and University committees, meetings, and events
- Contribute to the profession through active participation in conferences, associations, research, writing, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications & Competencies:
Specific to the Position:
- Post-graduate degree in library and information science from an A.L.A.-accredited institution, or equivalent degree and experience
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and abilities
- Ability to working both independently and collaboratively in a team environment
- Outstanding verbal, written, and presentation skills
- Experience with XR
- Instructional skills
- Willingness to learn and explore new and emerging technologies
- Self-starter who flexible, creative, and open to new challenges
- Strong commitment to diversity
Preferred Qualification & Competencies:
- Experimentation with digital tools and methods in research and/or teaching
- Project management
- Grant writing
The University and the Library
The University of Rochester Libraries is a charter member of the Association of Research Libraries and has collections of more than three million volumes and more than 150,000 active serial titles. This is an exciting time to join the River Campus, as we are in the early stages of implementing a new strategic plan that supports the innovative teaching and learning as a tier 1 research university. This provides a unique opportunity for incumbents to implement the strategies to achieve the Libraries vision of providing transformational experiences for faculty and students to achieve their scholarly aspirations.
The University of Rochester is the largest employer in the Greater Rochester area, sixth largest private employer in New York State and one of the nation’s leading private research universities. More than 11,000 undergraduate and graduate students are enrolled at UR Located in Rochester, New York. UR gives students exceptional opportunities for interdisciplinary study and close collaboration with faculty through its unique cluster-based curriculum. For more information on the University and the Libraries, please visit our website: www.library.rochester.edu.
Among the 100 largest metropolitan regions in the country, Greater Rochester has earned a reputation as one of the most livable communities in the nation. Located on the southern shore of Lake Ontario and gateway to the scenic Finger Lakes, Rochester offers its 1.1 million residents the amenities of a metropolitan area with a quality of life not available in many urban regions. This lively metropolitan area boasts 20,000 acres of parkland and offers year-round recreational opportunities for those who like to be outdoors in all seasons. Rochester is the home to a variety of world class, performing arts, fine arts, museums and cultural festivals. Several high schools in the greater Rochester area have been consistently listed by Newsweek as among the best in the country. Rochester is also recognized as one of the most affordable housing markets in the country.
For more information about living in Rochester: Visit Rochester
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE* AT: http://www.rochester.edu/working/hr/jobs/
Reference ID: 214618
*When applying online, please upload your cover letter & resume as one pdf document.
Position will remain open until filled.
If you have questions or need more information about the position send an email to: RCLHR@library.rochester.edu
The University of Rochester is an Equal Opportunity Employer: EOE Minorities / Females / Protected/ Veterans / Disabled