iDiversity kicked off its second year with a fantastically fun Happy Hour at Penn Social in DC in September to introduce members and affiliates to the new board:
- Kim White – President
- Bridgette Hendrix – Vice President
- Margaret Leist – Secretary
- Ursula Gorham-Oscilowski – Treasurer
- Brittney Crawford – Events Coordinator
- Rebecca Oxley – Social Media Coordinator
- Kt Zawodny – Webmaster
- Lindsay Sarin – Alumni Liaison
- Dr. Sheri Massey – Faculty Advisor
For October, the iDiversity speaker series continues with “Education Technologies & Navigating the Digital Divide” with national speaker and decorated educator Joquetta Johnson, “The Digital Diva” of Baltimore County Public Schools. The talk will take place on Oct. 18th at 4:30pm in HBK 2116, and Shady Grove students can attend via Skype at SG 3216. Thanks to Dr. Mega Subramaniam for hosting!
In November, iDiversity members will be an integral part of the groundbreaking Symposium for Diversity in LIS Education happening at the University of Maryland College Park Campus Nov. 8-9. Our members make up the core group of event volunteers, and iDiversity founder Rebecca Oxley has been invited to speak on the role of LIS students in diversity programs.
On Nov. 2nd iDiversity will be partnering with SAM, SLA-UMD and ALA@UMD to present a screening of Cycling for Libraries 2011 in Knight Hall at 5:30pm. The film chronicles a grassroots library outreach program that took determined international library professionals on a journey from Copenhagen to Berlin. Join us for free popcorn and intellectual discussion following the film.
Also coming in November, the iDiversity speaker series continues with a panel on LGBTQ issues in librarianship featuring Caleb Robinson (Law Librarian at Dept. of Labor), Matthew Jones (IDP Scholar at UMD iSchool), Derek Gray (Archivist of DCPL; Rainbow History Project Board Member), and Fiona Jardine (IDP Student at UMD iSchool). Details to be announced.
Keep on the look-out for our Winter events in the works: Information Session and tour of DCPL Adaptive Services with Venetia Demson (I Love My Librarian Award Winner); and Tour of the Enoch Pratt Free Library Southeast Anchor Branch with Cindy Kleback (UMD Adjunct Professor; Baker Award Winner). Stay tuned for developing information on the Spring Mentor Fair in 2013!
Connect With Us:
- iDiversity’s collaborative webspace is being revamped to better meet the needs of its members. The website will continue to archive diversity events in the news and feature a blog for iDiversity information and guest bloggers. Help us build a rich space for information on diversity in the field by signing up to be a co-author (all members invited!), tagging diversity-related tweets #iDiversity, or suggesting a guest blogger!
- Our Twitter numbers are rising all the time: the @LISDiversity handle will be changing automatically to @iDiversity on Nov. 10th. No need for followers to switch over – it’s the same great feed.
- We’re growing: Facebook and Google+ profiles are coming soon! iDiversity also has a *new* dedicated email: iDiversity.UMD@gmail.com