FAQs – Housing & Transportation

Where should I live?

Graduate students have many different housing options available to them. A great place to begin your search is the Off-Campus Housing Services Office located in the Stamp Student Union. This office works in cooperation with local landlords, homeowners, and students to provide extensive, up-to-date computer listings of vacancies. This office can also provide maps of local areas and brochures on tenant information. Their website includes a searchable database of available housing in the area.

The University also owns two small apartment complexes named Graduate Hills and Graduate Gardens that are reserved exclusively for graduate students. Both are managed by Southern Management Corporation. Because of their convenient location and affordability, competition is strong for these units. For an application and additional information, contact Southern Management Graduate Hills and Graduate Gardens Apartment Homes, 3426 Tulane Drive, Suite #3, Hyattsville, MD 20783 (888-633-6173).

How do I get to Campus?

Check out the UMD Transportation site for lots of information on how to get the College Park  campus by free UMD shuttle, via the Metro, on foot, by bike, or by car. They also have a number of apps that you can use to help navigate to the campus.

Where do I park?

Information regarding student parking can be found on the Department of Transportation Services website.  Students may register for parking online or by visiting Transportation Services at Bldg #202 Regents Drive Garage (Open 8:15am – 4:00pm, weekdays; 301-314-PARK; transportation@umd.edu).

Carefully read documentation about parking regulations as it will explain, among other items, when unrestricted parking is allowed on campus for those with a permit.  Note that some parking lots on campus are restricted at all times, so please check the parking regulations and signs posted at the entrance to each lot. The University parking regulations are very specific concerning conditions under which parking is restricted or banned in the parking lots and on the campus street. Illegal parking, expired meters, and other infractions of the parking code are strictly enforced. Payment of all fees, including parking tickets, must be made before graduation.

After 4:00pm, registered students with student lot parking decals may park in faculty lots with the exception of lots that are restricted to faculty and staff at ALL TIMES.


Where can I eat on campus? 

The Stamp Student Union has a variety of food options. Visit the Food, Shops, and Services page to see hours.

Vegetarian/vegan/gluten free options are most plentiful at the MD Food Co-Op in the basement of the Stamp Student Union.

Kosher options are available at the Hillel Center.

What spaces are there for graduate students at the iSchool?
Students at Maryland’s iSchool have many options of places to go to study, socialize, or sit quietly for a few minutes between classes.  The Graduate Student lounge is located in the Adele H. Stamp building (Room 1121), and is open from 9am – 5pm.  The Grad Student Lounge has computers available for use, games, and free coffee (from 9-4 every Thursday).

Within Hornbake South, students also have places to go.  The 4th floor houses the iSchool Student Lounge (room 4114), and the 2nd floor has a computer lab available for iSchool-student use (room 2108).  The computer lab’s hours are 9am – 6pm.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts

Begin typing your search term above and press enter to search. Press ESC to cancel.

Back To Top