FAQ – Financial Aid

Who do I contact for more information about my financial aid package?

Specific questions regarding financial aid must be directed to the Office of Financial Aid. Financial Advisors are available by appointment, which can be set up by phone at (301) 314-8377 or via email at umfinaid@umd.edu. For more information see the Financial Aid Office webpage here: http://financialaid.umd.edu.

How do I apply for/get a Graduate Assistantship (GA)? 

Graduate Assistantships or GA positions are available through university offices and departments. GA positions include a stipend, health benefits, and tuition remission. The amount of tuition remission and stipend ranges will depend on whether the student is at the master’s or doctorate level and whether the assistantship is a 9.5-month or 12-month position.

GA positions do not become available on a regular schedule. They become available as students leave the positions (if the funding is still available) and when new positions are created (typically these are grant funded). All that to say you’ll see position postings at various points throughout the year and can apply as they become available. The best advice is to keep your eyes on the MLIS-Students Listserv (students are automatically added in June) and posted on the Library Career Page. An important thing to keep in mind that many departments outside the libraries have GA positions and frequently request MLIS students. Those most frequently are put on the listserv or on the University Jobs page.  We also post any GA positions that come our way to MLIS Jobs.

What kinds of scholarships/funding are there?

Take a look at the Financial Aid area of the iSchool website. Many professional organizations, like the ALA, offer scholarships for new students. There is a partial list of organizations with scholarships on the Financial Aid page under ‘Financial Aid Resources Outside of UMD.’ The iSchool offers some scholarships to enrolled students, so look out for a call for applications around mid-fall semester.

The Graduate School offers some fellowships and scholarships for students. These awards are competitive and deadlines vary.

Where do I view my bill?

You can view your bill through the Office of Student Financial Aid webpage. For quick reference, this page can be reached from the bottom of the Testudo home page by clicking on “Financial Aid.” Once on the Student Financial Aid webpage, click “Check Your Financial Aid Status Online” and log in using your university username and password. From there you can click “View Monthly Billing Statement” which will again prompt you to log in using your university username and password. You should now see your “eBill Menu” where you can view your bill by selecting the appropriate date from the drop-down menu, pay your bill, view your student account, and add email accounts to receive information about billing updates.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts

Begin typing your search term above and press enter to search. Press ESC to cancel.

Back To Top