William Paterson University invites applications for a twelve month tenure-track position as Education and Curriculum Materials Librarian at the rank of Librarian III.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director for Access and Information Services, the Education and Curriculum Materials Librarian oversees and maintains the Library’s Curriculum Materials Center, a resource collection for education students, faculty, parents, teachers, and librarians. He/she serves as liaison to the College of Education and works with the College and its departments to provide resources and facilitate the proper training of teacher candidates.
The David and Lorraine Cheng Library is a major center of activity within William Paterson University, admired for its high standards of customer service and commitment to student success. The Education and Curriculum Materials Librarian works closely with the University’s College of Education, serving as the main contact between the Library and the College.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manages and oversees the operations of the Curriculum Materials Center (CMC), including the supervision and training of one full-time support staff and three part-time staff.
- Provides reference assistance, in person and online, to students, faculty, staff and others who use the CMC and the general collection.
- Serves as the primary library liaison to the College of Education the CMC/Education Librarian determines and responds to specific information needs of the College of Education, including presentations about library topics at College of Education meetings, serving on committees as needed, and serving as non-voting representative on the College of Education Curriculum Committee.
- Works with College of Education faculty, the CMC/Education Librarian providing course-related instruction, demonstrations and workshops for undergraduate and graduate students, Professors in Residence, and other College of Education related activities.
- Selects and evaluates appropriate resources for P-12 education, including curricula, teaching resources, and juvenile and young adult literature in appropriate formats.
- Promotes use of the CMC and education collection by students and faculty.
- Works with area P-12 programs to explore collaborations and plan activities that place William Paterson University in the community and supports educational efforts within the community.
- Develops and maintains bibliographies and resource guides to aid in use of the CMC collection and education-related resources.
- Oversees the CMC’s online content, both on the Library’s webpage as well as through social media.
- Participates in the Library’s User Education program.
- Participates in the reference rotation as needed.
- Serves on Library, University, regional and national committees as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned and appropriate for the position.
- ALA-accredited Master’s in Library Science (by time of appointment).
- Second master’s degree required (by time of application for tenure).
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Education and/or professional experience as a school librarian, children’s librarian in a public library or academic education librarian ; experience with juvenile literature and educational technology.
- Demonstrated commitment to service.
- Evidence of commitment to continuous learning and professional development.
- Second master’s degree preferred at time of appointment.
- Experience or coursework related to organizing and managing a curriculum materials center or school library.
Personal Attributes and Traits:
- Track record of exhibiting emotional intelligence
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and collegial
- Capacity to objectively listen to, understand and interpret what others are saying.
- Capable of presenting position, opinion, and feeling in written or oral form in a way others will listen, understand, and be influenced
- Evidence of being able to work independently and self-direct toward agreed upon goals and deadlines
About William Paterson:
William Paterson University is the third most diverse public university in New Jersey. As a longstanding member of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU), we have been designated by the US Department of Education as a Hispanic-Serving Institution. William Paterson University is also proud to be designated as a NASA MSI (Minority Serving Institution). The University offers more than 250 undergraduate and graduate academic programs that range from liberal arts and sciences to pre-professional and professional programs; it enrolls nearly 10,000 students from across the country and from over 40 nations. The University is situated on a beautiful, 370-acre suburban campus in Wayne, New Jersey, just twenty miles west of New York City.
Invitation to apply:
Please click to apply for the position.
Interested candidates will be prompted to:
- Complete an application
- Submit a cover letter and resume
- Provide names/contacts of three professional references
Submission of all documents listed above is required for consideration.
Review of applications will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org should you have general questions related to this search.
William Paterson University is an equal opportunity employer that actively values and supports diversity among faculty, staff and students. Women, minorities, and members of under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.