The Indiana University Libraries Bloomington seek a knowledgeable, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional to serve as an expert in East Asian languages in support of cataloging production and initiatives. Reporting to the Head of Area Studies Cataloging, the East Asian Cataloging Librarian will create bibliographic and authority records for resources in East Asian languages, with a focus on Japanese, to be contributed to the Libraries’ integrated library system and the OCLC WorldCat database. Through active participation in professional programs and organizations related to East Asian language cataloging, this position will provide leadership for cataloging operations related to complex vernacular scripts, including the revision of local practices and improvement of database content.
- Create original cataloging records including vernacular script fields and enhance OCLC metadata records for East Asian language resources on all subjects
- Create new authority records for personal and corporate names, conference names, uniform titles, and series
- Identify problems, design solutions, and take appropriate actions to efficiently and effectively incorporate East Asian language resources in the Libraries’ collections
- Maintain current awareness of professional trends and developments in metadata creation for East Asian language resources, and monitor evolving metadata schemes and practices
- Collaborate with other catalogers on bibliographic and authority records for East Asian language resources as needed
- Provide training and work assessment for paraprofessional catalogers and student employees assigned to work with East Asian language resources and related projects
- Serve as a consultant and cataloging liaison to other library departments for operations related to East Asian language resources
- Serve as an official IU Libraries’ representative to relevant institutional, regional, national, and international cataloging/metadata programs and organizations, such as the OCLC CJK Users Group
- Promote the Libraries’ culture of diversity and inclusion, and support the values outlined in IU Bloomington’s Campus Bicentennial Strategic Plan (https://provost.indiana.edu/strategic-plan/), the Libraries Strategic Plan (https://libraries.indiana.edu/strategicplan), and the Libraries’ Diversity Strategic Plan (https://libraries.indiana.edu/diversity-strategic-plan)
For more information and to apply, please visit the job posting. For full consideration, applications must be received by August 15, 2018.