ProQuest – Who we are…
The ProQuest Mission: Better research. Better learning, Better insights. ProQuest enables people to change their world. ProQuest supports the efforts of students and researchers across the globe. Providing important research tools and curating treasure troves of content has helped ProQuest to become an industry leader in the Information Services market.
What will I be doing?
The Acquisitions Specialist ensures currency and completeness of serial hardcopy, electronic or other formatted publications. As an Acquisitions Specialist at ProQuest, you are responsible for identifying Congressional sources material for coverage based on product coverage criteria.
In this position, you will also…
• Identify source materials for coverage based on product coverage criteria and/or negotiates and obtains access to source materials.
• Research and review published and unpublished sources, monitors Web sites, electronic and other sources, and /or personal contacts with outside individuals both onsite and offsite; or monitor internal file management systems.
• Develop and maintain contacts within assigned sources or internal editors.
• Create and update bibliographic document records, fulfills requirements of publishing systems.
• Perform document control, end-of-production cycle completeness and accuracy tasks.
Three reasons you should apply…
1. You thrive working independently.
2. You take pride in the quality of your work and enjoy working in a position that is detail oriented and deadline driven.
3. You enjoy the challenge of overcoming challenges.
This job may not be a fit if…
1. You have a hard time being flexible and adaptive.
2. You do your best work as a solo artist; the rest of the group just slows you down.
3. You have difficulty remaining focused when performing detail oriented, and sometimes repetitive tasks.
Qualified Candidates must have…
• Bachelor’s degree plus at least 1-year related experience in a technology-focused or professional services firm, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Ability to maintain and develop good business relationships with assigned sources in order to maximize content acquisition.
• Ability to work well both independently and in a team environment.
• Ability to interact effectively with outside contacts by telephone, in person and all forms of written communication.
• Attention to detail and an ability to synthesize information rapidly; ability to manage and meet multiple and frequent deadlines.
• Excellent technical skills, with ability to deftly enter and manipulate data, run reports, and learn software and database programs.
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
• Ability to show initiative and contribute to team development.
• Strong organizational skills.
Superstar Candidates will ALSO have…
• Graduate coursework or equivalent experience in Publishing, Business, Library/Information Science, and Customer Service.
• Experience working with periodicals, periodical acquisitions or a related area.
• Working experience with databases (i.e., Microsoft Access, TRACS).
• Experience organizing and presenting trainings.
• Understanding of delivery methods for electronic content (i.e.: FTP, Web, RSS, Email) and various media storage methods and devices.
• Understanding of data formats for electronic content (i.e.: TIFF, JPEG, GIF, PDF, HTML, SGML, XML, ASCII, MARC).
• Knowledge of searching protocol or archival experience in a library or research environment.
• Reading/writing knowledge of a foreign language.
• Publishing knowledge and knowledge of ProQuest’s products.
Other important information about this position:
• This position is based in the Bethesda, MD ProQuest office location.
• This position requires weekday (Monday – Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available around core working hours.
• Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
More to love about becoming a PQ employee!
• Forbes Ranks ProQuest among 2018 America’s Best Mid-Size Employers
• We offer professional development opportunities with a significant focus on learning.
• We hold fun on-site events.
• Our employee population is smart and highly collaborative.
• We have a relaxed dress code… yes, that means blue jeans (and not just on Fridays!).
• All of our employees have access to ProQuest research products including e-books, genealogy and academic journals.
At ProQuest, we work hard and have fun doing it. If you’re a talented professional in search of a career opportunity within a Global Organization, please consider joining our talented team!!
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.