Miami University Libraries seeks a flexible, forward-thinking, knowledgeable, and service-minded colleague in the role of Acquisitions and Access Librarian. The position reports to the head of the Access and Borrow Department (A&B). This position carries responsibilities for scholarly activities and/or professional services for promotion and continuing contract.
The Acquisitions and Access Librarian will review and reinvent acquisitions within a dynamic, service-oriented environment. The result of a recent libraries-wide reorganization, the A&B department combines technical services (acquisitions, cataloging, serials, e-resources, discovery) and access services (circulation, reserves, document delivery) and works to streamline provision and support of information and resources to library patrons. The Acquisitions and Access Librarian will have opportunities to maximize staff efficiencies and integrate departmental resources into acquisitions workflows and processes.
- Create and maintain departmental documentation of policies, procedures, guidelines, and operational workflows related to monographic acquisitions, budgeting, fund management, vendor assessment, and audit record requirements;
- manage and ensure efficient and effective workflows for the acquisition of a diverse range of materials;
- proactively incorporate new and emerging approaches;
- in collaboration, evaluate, implement, and manage automation or outsourcing services;
- oversee acquisitions accounting and budgeting including fiscal records maintenance and audit requirements;
- maintain currency and provide budgetary management, reporting, and analysis;
- build and maintain relationships with vendors to acquire, establish, and ensure consistent access to library holdings across multiple platforms and systems;
- oversee invoicing, payments, payment transfer mechanisms, and quality control;
- evaluation and selection of English and non-English language vendors and websites;
- serve as administrator for GOBI and other vendor platforms;
- work with subject librarians to purchase and/or replace appropriate materials;
- train and collaborate on collection development order processes;
- design, update, and manage approval plans;
- oversee gifts program;
- pursue equitable acquisition of diverse, inclusive, and accessible materials;
- serve as a member of the collections management committee;
- review and negotiate new license agreements in collaboration with campus partners;
- coordinate and manage public performance rights for films;
- engage in and promote ethical practices in purchasing and comply with licensing terms and access agreements;
- contribute to ongoing integration of departmental staff through training and supervision on acquisitions-related aspects, data analysis and/or automation as applicable, and public-facing support on an as-needed basis;
- and other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program;
- one year of experience performing acquisitions or technical services work in an academic library, or equivalent;
- knowledge of current issues and trends in acquisitions, collection management, scholarly communication, and automation technologies commonly used in Technical Services (e.g., macros, APIs, EDI, etc.);
- proven ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a complex changing environment and complete tasks according to an established timeframe;
- demonstrated ability to perform accurate and detail-oriented work, including strong analytical and problem solving skills and use of data to make analysis-driven decisions;
- proven communication and interpersonal skills evidenced by the ability to work cooperatively and maintain effective working relationships with vendors, colleagues, faculty, students, and staff;
- commitment to participate in appropriate professional service and conduct research and scholarship, demonstrating ability to meet the Libraries’ promotion and continuing contract requirements (see http://www.lib.miamioh.edu/about/larps.pdf);
- familiar with (and/or will have the ability to learn) knowledge competencies outlined in the Core Competencies for Acquisitions Professionals (https://alair.ala.org/handle/11213/9058) created by the ALA ALCTS Education Committee of the Acquisitions Section.
Appointment at the rank of Assistant or Associate Librarian dependent upon qualifications. The University will not sponsor H-1B for this position.
- Experience with GOBI, III Sierra, and/or OCLC Connexion;
- experience working in a library that is a member of a consortium;
- demonstrated ability to devise innovative and creative solutions to problems and take well-informed risks;
- demonstrated experience working with technical services automation (e.g., macros, APIs, EDI, etc.);
- demonstrated experience in negotiating with vendors and publishers;
- demonstrated experience working with non-English language materials and vendors;
- demonstrated knowledge of issues related to contract and license interpretation.
For more information and to apply, please visit the job posting.