ProQuest – Who we are…
The ProQuest Mission: Better research. Better learning, Better insights. ProQuest enables people to change their world. ProQuest supports the efforts of students and researchers across the globe. Providing important research tools and curating treasure troves of content has helped ProQuest to become an industry leader in the Information Services market.
What will I be doing?
The Content Editor will research, analyze, and acquire statistical data to create and prepare statistical tables for digital and print versions of the ProQuest Statistical Abstract of the United States, a statistical reference product. The individual will deliver content under monthly and annual deadlines and maintain responsibility for ensuring accurate data presentation using editorial skills and judgment.
In this position, you will also…
- Research, review and monitor statistical content from a wide variety of Federal and private sources, primarily using internet resources.
- Analyze source data and verify quality and statistical reliability.
- Acquire and manipulate source data in a variety of formats including .xls, .csv, and .pdf.
- Distill and organize relevant statistical data from source materials into illustrative statistical tables for inclusion in digital and print statistical reference product.
- Contact source data providers when necessary to obtain data or clarification regarding data.
- Perform editing, accuracy checks, and/or quality audits to ensure content is accurate and follows style guidelines.
- Use editorial skills and independent judgment to produce high-quality work that needs little or no editing.
- Perform administrative tasks to manage workload, ensuring adherence to production schedules and deadlines.
- Understand and utilize customer data and market trends in determining value-add needed to maintain customer base and attain market-based objectives.
- Actively participate in departmental meetings and discussions.
Three reasons you should apply…
- You love working with Statistical Data.
- You take pride in the quality of your work and enjoy working in a position that is detail oriented and deadline driven.
- You love collaboration and being an integral part of a team.
This job may not be a fit if…
- You have a hard time meeting deadlines.
- You do your best work as a solo artist; the rest of the group just slows you down.
- You have difficulty remaining focused when performing detail oriented, and sometimes repetitive tasks.
Qualified Candidates must have…
- Bachelor’s degree in the social sciences (history, political science, economics, or related).
- Strong analytical skills and ability to synthesize information with focus on preparation of detailed statistical tables.
- Excellent research and problem-solving skills, including the ability to analyze, compare, evaluate, and reconcile data with a high degree of concentration.
- Familiarity with and interest in statistical data covering a wide range of social, political, and economic topics.
- Mathematical computation skills.
- Detail oriented with the ability to maintain focus while performing repetitive tasks.
- Knowledge of Federal government data sources.
- Ability to manage and meet multiple and frequent deadlines.
- Excellent technical skills, with ability to deftly enter and manipulate data, and learn software and database programs; strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office products especially Excel.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent grammar, punctuation and writing skills, and an ability to express ideas clearly and logically.
- Ability to work well both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to maintain and develop good business relationships.
- Ability to interact effectively with internal and external contacts in person, by telephone, and via email.
- Dedication to delivering high quality work and capacity to learn and master new technology.
Superstar Candidates will ALSO have…
- Coursework in statistics.
- At least one year of working experience with statistics and databases (i.e., Microsoft Access).
- Publishing knowledge and knowledge of ProQuest’s products.
- Prior experience working with print production management systems and/or web-based applications and XML.
Other important information about this position:
- This position is based in the Bethesda, MD ProQuest office location.
- This position requires weekday (Monday – Friday) attendance with some scheduling flexibility available around core working hours.
- Every position requires certain physical capabilities. ProQuest seeks to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
More to love about becoming a PQ employee!
- Forbes Ranks ProQuest among 2018 America’s Best Mid-Size Employers
- We offer professional development opportunities with a significant focus on learning
- We hold fun on-site events
- Our employee population is smart and highly collaborative
- We have a relaxed dress code… yes, that means blue jeans (and not just on Fridays!)
- All of our employees have access to ProQuest research products including e-books, genealogy and academic journals
At ProQuest, we work hard and have fun doing it. If you’re a talented professional in search of an career opportunity within a Global Organization, please consider joining our talented team!!