Science and Engineering Librarian and Learning Specialist – Reference and Instructional Services
Make a difference at Temple Libraries. Join our team of subject specialist librarians, serving students, faculty and researchers in our Colleges of Science and Technology and Engineering. We seek an enthusiastic, service-focused colleague eager to engage with our science community to support learning and research. Our new state-of-the-art library building, opening in 2018, is just one reason to explore your future at Temple Libraries.
Temple University is a vibrant, urban research university with over 1,700 full-time faculty and a student body of 36,000 that is among the most diverse in the nation. For more information about Temple and Philadelphia, visit http://www.temple.edu/about/.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Associate University Librarian, the Science & Engineering Librarian provides general reference, specialized research support and instructional programming for students, faculty and staff in biology, bioengineering, chemistry, computer & information science, earth & environmental science, engineering, the mathematical sciences and physics. Serves as library liaison for three or more science and engineering departments. In addition, the Science & Engineering Librarian conducts outreach to a growing number of specialized labs and research centers in the College of Science & Technology. Develops print and web based instructional materials and provides library instruction to students in the assigned subject areas as well as undergraduates in the general education curriculum. As the learning specialist for sciences and engineering, counsels faculty in developing effective information literacy assignments and collaborates with the Information Literacy Coordinator to identify, achieve and assess library-wide learning outcomes. Engages faculty through outreach and promotional activities, including committee participation and attendance at collegial meetings and events. Selects materials for library collections in all formats in support of these academic programs. Maintains awareness of current trends in librarianship, within the sciences and engineering as well as in higher education and related academic fields. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
ALA accredited master’s degree in Library Science.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Substantial coursework, library experience or practical lab experience in engineering or science fields, such as biology, physics, chemistry, geology, etc.
- Experience designing and delivering learning content and applying information literacy concepts, such as developing learning outcomes and employing assessment techniques, to practice.
- Demonstrated ability to provide reference and instructional services.
- Must be flexible.
- Proficient analytical, organizational, management and communication skills.
- Ability to take initiative and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work both independently and collegially in a demanding and rapidly changing environment.
- Commitment to providing responsive and innovative services to a culturally and racially diverse campus community.
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in a science or engineering academic setting providing reference, consultation or liaison services.
- Facility with instruction and information technologies and creative use of technology to enhance learning.
- Experience developing and managing science or engineering-related collections in all formats.
- Current awareness of issues and trends in public services for academic libraries.
- Knowledge of the information needs of relevant disciplines and an understanding of current trends and issues in scholarly publishing.
- Science or engineering degree.
Competitive salary and benefits package, including relocation allowance. Rank and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To apply for this position, please visit www.temple.edu, click on Careers At Temple at the bottom of the home page, and reference 16003627. For full consideration, please submit your completed electronic application, along with a cover letter and resume. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Temple University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to cultural diversity.