Position: Dean of Libraries
Northeastern Illinois University invites applications and nominations for the position of Dean of Libraries. The Dean reports to the Provost; is responsible for all Library curricular, budgetary, and personnel matters; and provides leadership/vision in fulfilling the Library and University missions and goals.
About Northeastern Illinois University
Founded in 1867, Northeastern has a rich tradition of educational innovation and prides itself on preparing teachers and administrators who make a difference in Chicago. That tradition continues to this day and has expanded to include an array of academic disciplines, allowing the University to embrace fully the community in which it resides. Northeastern is regarded as the most diverse public comprehensive university in the Midwest and is designated by the U.S. Department of Education as a Hispanic-Serving Institution. Diversity is an important factor in the character of Northeastern and in the social fabric of its student body. The University has an enrollment of nearly 9,000 students; African American, Hispanic, Asian and Native American students represent nearly 60 percent of the student body.
Located on 67 acres in an attractive residential area on the Northwest Side of Chicago, the University offers more than 80 undergraduate and graduate programs in the arts, sciences, education, and business. The University has additional locations in the metropolitan area: Jacob H. Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies; El Centro; Center for College Access and Success; and University Center of Lake County.
About the Ronald Williams Library
The Ronald Williams Library (www.neiu.edu/library) is located on the west side of the Main Campus. The main library is comprised of approximately 140,000 square feet and contains roughly 700,000 volumes of print materials. In addition, over 500,000 other educational resources such as electronic books and journals, audio recordings, microfilms, documents, and DVDs, are housed in the Library. The Library subscribes to nearly 200 databases which provide access to the full text of approximately 50,000 unique full-text journals. The Library operates a Library Resource Center at the El Centro location and a full service branch at the Carruthers Center for Inner City Studies. The Library is a member of the Consortium of Academic and Research Libraries in Illinois (CARLI).
- Master’s in Library Science from an ALA-accredited institution
- Second master’s degree
- 5 years of experience as a unit head or higher
- Demonstrated knowledge of both public and technical services processes and systems
- Demonstrated experience designing and implementing successful, creative, and responsive annual and multi-year strategic planning initiatives in a changing environment
- Demonstrated fiscal and physical planning and management of a library
- Demonstrated participation in local, regional, and national library organizations
- Demonstrated record of excellence in librarianship, research/creative activities, and service to qualify for tenure and appointment to the rank of Associate Professor
- Work effectively in a multicultural, diverse, and complex university environment with staff, faculty, and administrators
- Recruit, supervise, and retain both Library faculty and Library support staff
- Serve as the Library’s key advocate and champion to internal and external constituencies
Knowledge and Skills:
- Current issues and trends in academic librarianship and in higher education
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, oral and written communication skills
- Experience in fundraising and/or grant writing for library or nonprofit organizations
- Analyze complex problems, devise innovative solutions, and perceive the implications and potential consequences of various situations
- Engage in a participative management style
- Foster professional growth for Library faculty and staff
Knowledge and Skills:
- How to work effectively in a collectively bargained environment
- Issues and operations of a public institution of higher education
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Excellent benefits package including health, dental and vision, and participation in the State Universities Retirement System.
Review of applications begins immediately and continues until the position is filled.
In order to be considered for this position, you must submit the following within one PDF document to LibraryDeanSearch@neiu.edu.
- A letter of interest addressing your qualifications for this position
- A current resume
- A statement regarding your demonstrated record of excellence in librarianship, research/creative activities, and service to qualify for tenure and appointment to the rank of Associate Professor
- Contact information for three (3) current professional references
- Copies of unofficial transcripts are accepted; however, official transcripts will be required of candidates selected for on-campus interviews
- (This position requires a background check.)
In order to be considered for employment by Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU) you must also submit the following documents to: LibraryDeanSearch@neiu.edu
In addition to the links provided above for the Employment Application (fillable), Affirmative Action Form and Statement of Annuitant Status, you can also obtain these forms at the NEIU Office of Human Resources, Bernard Office Building (B0B), 5555 N. Bernard Street, Chicago, IL 60625, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Northeastern Illinois University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and invites applications from Women, Minorities, Veterans and Persons with Disabilities, as well as Other Qualified Individuals. Northeastern Illinois University’s positions are contingent upon the University’s receipt of its State of Illinois appropriation.