Branch Operations Manager – Business Library – 11337
CU Boulder’s University Libraries is now accepting applications for a Branch Operations Manager for the William M White Business Library. This role will supervise the daily services of the Business Library by ensuring proper staffing, scheduling, training, work assignments, procedure setting, performance evaluation, payroll preparation, building and facilities operations, library instruction, and overall workflow of the unit is properly maintained. In addition, this position anticipates the needs of the library’s daily workflow and patrons and analyzes unit statistics to evaluate service and facilities’ needs.
Who we are:
As the flagship University of a multi-campus system in the State of Colorado, CU Boulder is a dynamic community of scholars and learners situated on one of the most beautiful college campuses in the country. As one of 34 U.S. public institutions belonging to the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU)—and the only member in the Rocky Mountain region—we have a proud tradition of academic excellence, with five Nobel laureates and more than 50 members of prestigious academic academies.
CU Boulder has blossomed in size and quality since we opened our doors in 1877 —attracting superb faculty, staff, and students and building strong programs in the sciences, engineering, business, law, arts, humanities, education, music, and many other disciplines.
Today, with our sights set on becoming the standard for the great comprehensive public research universities of the new century, we strive to serve the people of Colorado and to engage with the world through excellence in our teaching, research, creative work, and service. The University Libraries faculty and staff are diverse, talented, and passionate people who share this vision and mission. Librarians participate at all levels of the campus and hold full faculty status and rank. The Libraries, a member of the Association of Research Libraries, holds the largest collection in the Rocky Mountain region with over 12 million books, periodicals, government publications, audiovisual materials, microforms, maps, manuscripts, papers and computer-based resources. The Libraries faculty and staff collaborate internally, with colleagues beyond the campus, and with our clients to advance information literacy, intellectual freedom, lifelong learning, the disciplinary growth of information, and the amplification of knowledge.
About Boulder, Colorado:
Boulder and the surrounding area is known as one of the best places to live because of its spectacular setting, acres of open space, and vibrant atmosphere. At 5,430 feet above sea level, acres of vast open space entwine into Boulder’s cityscape nestled into the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. Home to approximately 90,000 residents, Boulder has a mild, dry climate with more than 300 days of sunshine per year. Boulder offers activities for every interest. Over 80 miles of pedestrian and bike paths, as well as a convenient bus system, provide transportation around town and to the Denver metropolitan area. Photographers, music lovers, rock climbers, Olympians, artists, and others are drawn to this great city because of its scenic beauty, vibrant culture, and fabulous amenities. Boulder is just three hours from 11 ski resorts, 40 minutes from Denver, and moments from 43,000 acres of open space and trails.
What your key responsibilities will be:
Supervision of Library Technicians and Student Assistants
• In accordance with employment laws and University and Libraries regulations, supervises student employees and library staff. Actively interprets and follows affirmative action principles and policies to provide an atmosphere free from harassment and discrimination.
• Interviews, hires, trains, evaluates and conceptualizes student assignments. Is responsible for student budgeting, scheduling, work assignments, payroll, and performance.
• Supervises two Library Technician IIIs. Schedules, assigns, and prioritizes duties; trains, coaches, and evaluates performance. Assigns duties and oversees workflow to ensure position supports the mission and daily work of the Library.
• Handles incoming library instruction requests for the Leeds School of Business.
• Manages the calendar for the Business Instruction Lab (Koelbel 100B), working with the Business Instruction Coordinator to ensure that the instruction request process works smoothly.
• Serves a member of the business instruction team, conducting library instruction sessions on topics in Business. Data Collection and Analysis of Library Collections and Services
• Coordinates unit records, including student payroll, policy and procedure documentation for circulation services, and unit statistics.
• Administer student wage budget.
• Collect and analyze data and statistics on use of the library and the collections. Use these data to assess and evaluate collections and services.
• Provide reference and other assistance to patrons in the Business Library in order to help meet their information needs, with a focus on triaging reference questions to the appropriate subject specialists.
• Remains current with library science practice and trends by reading professional publications and other information outlets such as listservs, by attending instruction sessions and relevant talks, and by consulting with other department members and members of the larger business library community.
• Attend workshops and continuing education opportunities that relate to the Libraries’ resources.
• Develop skills in using indexes and other discovery tools in the social sciences.
• Report all facilities problems to Building Proctor or Facilities Management.
• Anticipate building issues that may impact services or library hours and coordinates processes to minimize disruption.
• Liaise with the UCB Libraries’ Security Unit, Preservation Unit, and Information Technology Department, as well as outside campus departments, such as Facilities Management and CU Police Department, to maintain facilities that allow for an efficient, productive, and service-oriented Unit. Flexibility to address unexpected issues related to facilities or operations effectively.
• Assists with LibGuides by creating guides for courses, research, or other guides as needed.
• Services as part of the team focusing on creating an updated, useful, streamlined web site for the Business Library.
What we can offer:
The salary range for this position starts at $49,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be adaptable. Be inclusive. Be supportive. Be Boulder.
What we require:
• Bachelor’s degree from accredited university.
• Two years of relevant, professional experience in Libraries providing customer service or a Master’s of Library & Information Science.
What you will need:
• Knowledge of trends and best practices in providing research assistance in a higher education setting.
• Knowledge of tools and approaches for conducting in-depth research.
• Commitment to cultivating an environment of diversity and inclusion.
• Evidence of a strong service orientation and demonstrated commitment to a user-centered approach to library support services.
• Ability to identify and solve problems independently and collaboratively.
• Ability to exercise good judgment consistent with Libraries policies and procedures.
• Strong organizational, interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
What we’d like you to have:
• Master’s degree in Library and Information Science.
• Experience conducting research assistance in an academic research library setting.
• Experience with scheduling or managing a service point.
• Experience with library instruction.
• Supervisory experience.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please apply by November 2, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required: Cover Letter, Resume/CV Application Materials
Instructions: To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting atwww.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-11337.
Please do not upload references at this time.