THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA LIBRARIES
Web Development Librarian
The University of Alabama Libraries seeks a talented and energetic professional Web Development Librarian in the Web Technologies and Development unit. Reporting to the Manager of Web Technologies and Development, this position will be responsible for supporting and extending the Libraries’ custom web applications, tools, and web presence. The position will also engage in project work, and support new technology initiatives derived from our strategic plan. The position duties will be split among extending and supporting our custom PHP web apps framework, maintaining and enhancing our web site, maintaining and extending our custom Bento search tool, and developing for open-source digital initiatives such as EBSCO’s FOLIO library framework. The position will also support inter-departmental development and troubleshooting using your front-stack and back-end skills.
The successful candidate will maintain a knowledge of current best practices in all areas of responsibility with special attention to security. S/he will identify promising new technologies that can positively impact services or generate a better user experience and will be an innovative and entrepreneurial professional who desires to work in a creative, collaborative and respectful environment.
The Web Technologies and Applications department is responsible for the development of such nationally-recognized tools as our Bento search interface and our innovative applications of Ebsco’s EDS tool. The University Libraries emphasizes a culture of continuous learning, professional growth, and diversity through ongoing and regular training, and well-supported professional development.
- MLS/MLIS degree from an ALA accredited program, or equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively with diverse constituencies; comfortable with ambiguity; and effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience (1 year+) developing for LAMP systems / extensive familiarity with PHP and MySQL or other back-end development tools. Eg, must be able to write SQL queries and PHP code, and show understanding of web application usage using these tools within a Linux and Apache environment.
- Familiarity with version control usage systems in a development environment.
- Familiarity with basic UX, iterative design, accessibility standards and mobile first methodologies.
- Experience developing within a WordPress environment.
- Ability to problem solve creatively.
- Ability to set and follow through on both individual and team priorities and goals.
- Aptitude for learning new technologies and working in a dynamic environment.
- Demonstrated comfort with an evolving technology landscape.
- A desire to be awesome, and develop awesome projects.
- 1-3 years of programming and development experience in a web environment using LAMP tools.
- Experience developing for, and supporting, common open-source library applications such as Omeka, ArchiveSpace, Dspace, etc.
- Experience with Java, Ruby, RAML
- Familiarity with NoSQL databases and concepts.
- Experience interacting with and manipulating REST API data
- Application or mobile development
- Experience with professional workflows using IDEs, staging servers, Git, Grunt, and Bower.
- Familiarity with Node.js, Bootstrap, Angular.js, Roots.io.
- Familiar with UX methodologies and processes.
- Experience with web security issues, HTTPS, and developing secure applications.
- Experience developing for and within open-source projects.
ENVIRONMENT: The University of Alabama, The Capstone University, is the State of Alabama’s flagship public university and the senior comprehensive doctoral level institution in Alabama. UA enrolls over 37,000 students, is ranked in the top 50 public universities in the United States. UA has graduated 15 Rhodes Scholars, 15 Truman Scholars, has had 121 Fulbright Scholars, is one of the leading institutions for National Merit Scholars (150 in 2015), and has 5 Pulitzer Prize winners among its ranks. Under the new leadership of President Stuart Bell, UA has launched a strategic planning process that includes an aggressive research agenda and expansion of graduate education. UA is located in Tuscaloosa, a metropolitan area of 200,000, with a vibrant economy, a moderate climate, and a reputation across the South as an innovative, progressive community with an excellent quality of life. Tuscaloosa provides easy access to mountains, several large cities, and the beautiful Gulf Coast.
The University Libraries maintains memberships in the Association of Research Libraries, the Center for Research Libraries, the Coalition for Networked Information, centerNet, LYRASIS, the Association of Southeastern Research Libraries, the Network of Alabama Academic Libraries, the Digital Preservation Network, and the Alabama Digital Preservation Network. As a U.S. Government Documents Regional Depository, the UA Libraries serves Alabama libraries and the public. The University Libraries homepage may be accessed at http://www.lib.ua.edu
Prior to employment the successful candidate must pass a pre-employment background investigation.
SALARY/BENEFITS: 12 month non-tenure track, renewable faculty appointment at the Assistant Professor rank. Salary is $52,000-$60.000 commensurate with qualifications and experience. Strong benefits including professional development support and tuition fee waiver.
TO APPLY: Applications are accepted online only at https://facultyjobs.ua.edu
Click Search Positions. University Libraries in Organization drop down box. Please include your application, Curriculum Vitae, and names, addresses, phone numbers, and e- mail addresses of three references, including one current supervisor.
Position open until filled. Applications received by October 15, 2017 are assured of receiving full consideration.
The University of Alabama is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is strongly committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. Applicants from a broad spectrum of people, including women, members of ethnic minorities and disabled persons, are especially encouraged to apply. For questions regarding the search, contact Dr. Millie Jackson, Senior Associate Dean, at email@example.com
THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER