The Nelson Poynter Memorial Library at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg seeks an innovative, collaborative, outgoing, and service-oriented Science Librarian to support our growing programs in these areas. This is a full-time, promotion-earning, 12-month library faculty position with professional responsibilities in librarianship, service, and scholarship. The Science Librarian will promote a positive work environment, communicate effectively, and collaborate with library and faculty colleagues in identifying ways to promote library goals and initiatives.
The Science Librarian will support faculty in the Biology, Environmental Science, and Geospatial programs as well as their associated Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics courses. The ideal candidate will be comfortable collaborating and building strong relationships with faculty and will be a dynamic information literacy instructor who is capable of engaging undergraduate and graduate students in both general and specialized classes.
The Science Librarian will provide general and specialized reference and research assistance to library patrons both in-person and virtually. We seek a candidate who genuinely enjoys helping people and providing outstanding customer service to patrons. The candidate should also be comfortable working with diverse groups and promoting cultural competency.
She/he will remain well informed about trends in the areas of scholarly publishing and data management for science disciplines, and this position will play a key role in our digital archive.
Key responsibility areas include:
- Reference and Individual Instruction
- Development and Delivery of Classroom, Distance, and Online Instruction
- Liaison, Outreach, Collaboration with Academic Departments
- Collection Development and Management
- Management of faculty profiles in SelectedWorks
- University, library, and professional Service
- Research and Service to the Library and University
- A master’s degree in Library Science or equivalent from an ALA accredited institution
- At least two (2) years of professional academic or special library experience serving scientists OR an academic background in the sciences
- Commitment to support and contribute to a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Teaching experience and familiarity with online instruction and/or library research guides
- Familiarity with collections practice and methods
- Demonstrated ability to articulate a strong user-centered focus and genuine interest in the science research community
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities
- Demonstrated project management skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively on teams
- Outreach experience developing working partnerships with clientele and communities
- Research publications and presentations at the international, national, or state level
- Professional service activities at the national, state, or university level
Review of applications will begin on September 20, 2017. Position is open until filled.
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Link to apply:
USFSP is an EO/Equal Access Institution. Welcoming…Diverse…Inclusive