The Arapahoe Library District is seeking a Library Specialist to join our progressive library system. This position is located within the Arapahoe County Detention Center. We are looking for someone with at least two years of similar experience, advanced research skills including experience with legal research, and the ability to successfully pass a criminal history check. Are you passionate about providing services in a special library setting? Please read the complete job description, and if these are experiences and qualifications you have, then we want to hear from you.
Location: Arapahoe County Detention Center Library, 7375 S. Potomac Street, Centennial, CO 80112
Reports to: Supervisor
Position: 20 hours, part-time; non-exempt position-Qualified applicants must be available to work shifts on Monday, Wednesday and Thursdays between 8am and 5pm.
Pay Rate: $15.24-$19.07
Role: Provides information services to the inmate patrons and staff of the Arapahoe County Detention facility by delivering outstanding and personalized service in all areas.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
60% INMATE PATRON ASSISTANCE
- Greets inmate patrons and provides proactive assistance
- Provides personalized advisory services to inmate patrons
- Helps inmate patrons with general reference assistance
- Provides handoff to various other specialists when appropriate
30% MATERIAL PROCESSING
- Fills requests from inmates and staff
- Loads book carts and verifies inmate locations in order to provide service on location throughout the facility
- Processes new books by entering basic information into the database, printing labels and affixing labels to materials in order to catalog the collection
- Assists in maintaining an attractive, current and useful collection
- Resolves circulation problems by tracking circulation records and requesting detention center staff for assistance in order to assist inmate patrons in returning materials to the library
10% TECHNOLOGY ASSISTANCE
- Responds to inmate patron requests by providing basic legal research and instruction on how to search Lexis Nexis for legal information
- Instructs inmate patrons in the operation of computers and printers by demonstrating and assisting in their use in order to promote patron use of library technology.
- Two to five years of similar or related experience, preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferred.
- Advanced research skills and/or coursework in library science, preferred.
- Experience with legal research, preferred.
- Ability to work in a high security environment, required.
- Ability to successfully pass a criminal history and background check, required.
- Ability to work with varying demographics, including individuals who are charged and/or convicted with violent crimes, required.
- Knowledge of informational databases, preferred.
Intermediate technology skills for Word, Excel and Outlook, required.
- Advanced skills, preferred.
- Intermediate skills in Sierra, preferred.
Ability to be mobile 100% of the time. Ability to bend, stoop, reach, and push a loaded wheeled book truck weighing up to 100 pounds and ability to lift up to 35 pounds unassisted, regularly and up to 50 pounds assisted occasionally required.
- Ability to work independently and as a self-starter.
- Ability to focus on the customer, show integrity, be inclusive, enjoy learning and have fun.
Ability to exercise confidence and excitement in the vast technological and online resources the Library District has available.
- Ability to provide intermediate advisory services to patrons in all collection formats and genres, and advanced advisory services in one area of choice.
- Passionate about the mission of public libraries.
Comfortable with the principles of intellectual freedom.
At Arapahoe Libraries, we believe in turning every search for knowledge into a helpful adventure.
Our 300 employees come together to build a rock-solid team that achieves far more collectively than we could ever do alone. We provide competitive compensation and benefits including healthcare, paid time off, and retirement plans.
Learn more about our Vision, Values, Mission at: http://arapahoelibraries.org/vision-values-mission/
LET’S FIND OUT
Arapahoe Libraries is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity (EEO)and sustaining an inclusive culture. We prohibit unlawful discrimination against applicants or employees on the basis of age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or any other applicable status protected by federal, state or local law.