The mission of the Prince George’s County Memorial Library System (PGCMLS) is to provide quality services, resources, and lifelong learning opportunities to meet the informational, educational, cultural, and recreational needs and interests of its changing population. The PGCMLS is seeking an enthusiastic, visionary, community-minded leader as its next Chief Executive Officer. This is an outstanding opportunity for someone to join the leading public library system in Maryland and to serve a diverse community in the Metropolitan Washington DC area.
Are you someone who:
- Wants to be at the forefront of change in the way libraries serve the public?
- Wants to build sustainability at all levels of a public library system?
- Wants to help customers and staff reach new levels of creativity and achievement?
- Wants to build partnerships at every level of the community?
- Wants to live the Library system’s vision to “Enrich, Engage, and Educate”?
If so, we invite you to apply to become the Prince George’s County Memorial Library System’s next CEO.
The PGCMLS is an autonomous library system guided by a 7-member Board of Library Trustees, approved by the Prince George’s County Council and appointed by the County Executive. The CEO, reporting to this board, oversees a nationally recognized library system where being on the leading edge of the future of libraries is expected.
The CEO provides overall strategic and operational leadership with full responsibility for the following key initiatives:
- Personnel and fiscal management
- Developing and implementing all components of the PGCMLS operating and capital budgets
- Implementing emergent technologies
- Establishing and maintaining partnerships throughout Prince George’s County and the region
- Engaging key stakeholders including local, state, and federal government; elected officials; as well as agencies, community groups, and businesses.
The Board of Library Trustees is seeking a strong, dynamic and strategic leader who can manage an organization of scale and complexity. The ideal CEO will bring personal and professional passion for the organization’s mission, cultivated and powerful advocacy skills, a flair for innovation, and a demonstrated commitment and sensitivity to the needs of a diverse and multicultural community like ours.
RequirementsREQUIRED Education & Experience:
Master’s degree in library/information science from a university or college accredited by the American Library Association.
A minimum of seven years of experience managing a large, complex organization, preferably a public library.
KNOWLEDGE, Skills, AND Abilities:
- Business and fiscal acumen, including a proclivity for balancing business planning with community needs.
- Political acumen and ability to navigate (and positively influence) government funding and policy-making processes.
- Strong communication skills and carefully cultivated listening skills.
- Demonstrated ability to hire, train, supervise, discipline, evaluate, and develop staff at all levels
- Experience with collective bargaining.
- Demonstrated ability to lead by example, foster cultural sensitivity, and create an institutional culture that values collegiality, transparency, and trust.
- Ability to effectively engage and communicate with a broad group of stakeholders, both one-on-one and in groups of various sizes.
- Adaptable to rapidly changing modes of information creation, dissemination, and preservation; cognizant of equitable access and privacy issues, digital literacy, cybersecurity, and other 21st century information and technology challenges.
- Long-range strategic thinker who develops plans and makes decisions grounded in experience, intuition, research, analysis, and fact finding.
- Aptitude and ability to lead a robust vision in concert with the Board of Library Trustees.
- Willingness to obtain a Maryland Professional Library Certification within 6 months of hire.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
The position offers a hiring salary, commensurate with experience and qualifications, negotiable from $175,000/year depending on qualifications. We offer an attractive benefits package, including multiple health insurance options; and participation in the Maryland State Teachers Retirement System.
HOW TO APPLY:
To be considered for this opportunity, please submit:
- A letter of interest setting forth why you are the person who should fill this role.
- A resume detailing your demonstrated experience and career accomplishments relevant to this position.
- All applications must be submitted online at www.pgcmls.info to be accepted.
- The application deadline is October 6, 2017.
- For additional information about the library system, visit http://www.pgcmls.info.
- Send inquiries or questions to Jeff Naftal, Director of Human Resources, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each candidate’s background will be evaluated based on information submitted at the time of application to determine the level and scope of the candidate’s preparation for the position.
Only the most qualified candidates, as determined by the screening process, will be invited to participate in the in-person interview process. A background check will be completed on the finalists.