Howard Tilton Memorial Library (HTML) at Tulane University invites applications for the position of Systems Librarian. The library seeks to build its professional staff by recruiting talented, energetic librarians interested in shaping the future of Tulane University and New Orleans. The Systems Librarian will combine a strong service orientation with application development to ensure that HTML maintains and builds upon the high level of services for which it is renowned.
The Systems Librarian takes an innovative, service-centric approach to the oversight of several key information management and discovery systems (Voyager, Primo, ILLiad). S/he will be responsible for ensuring the optimal performance of these systems, which will include: enabling data integration across distributed and heterogeneous local and external data sources; providing statistical, usage, and collection reports in support of decision making for library collections and services; and promptly reporting issues/problems to vendor(s) with follow-through until resolution. Additionally, the Systems Librarian has secondary (back-up) responsibility for the link resolver (currently SFX), and proxy authentication systems. As a technology liaison to library departments, s/he participates in formal task groups and committees, both standing and ad-hoc, to analyze and improve systems and services. S/he will have programming skills consummate with the Library’s technology goals and ambitions and will serve as part of a technology team that includes web development, digital collections, and digital publishing initiatives.
- ALA-accredited MLS or another graduate degree in information technology, computer science, or other technology field
- At least two years’ relevant experience in an academic or research library
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES/COMPETENCIES TYPICALLY NEEDED TO PERFORM THIS JOB SUCCESSFULLY:
- Experience managing integrated library systems and resource discovery tools, link resolvers, and proxy authentication systems
- Experience managing Windows and Unix based servers
- Demonstrated ability to work with database management systems and scripts (e.g., MS SQL, MySQL, Oracle, or MS Access) and writing queries in SQL
- Programming in XSLT, PHP, Ruby, or Python
- Demonstrated analytical, technical, and troubleshooting skills for complex applications
- Significant experience in project management
- Strong service orientation
- Proficiency in written and interpersonal communication
- Ability to succeed both independently and in a collaborative team environment
- Ability to function fully and competently at technology competency Levels I, II and III outlined in HTML Core Technology Competencies for Employees. (See http://library.tulane.edu/sites/library.tulane.edu/files/documents/core_technology_competencies.pdf
- Familiarity with bibliographic record structure and classification systems
- Experience with Primo, Voyager, Islandora, ArchivesSpace and ILLiad
- Experience integrating a wide variety of third-party applications into library information systems
- Knowledge of authentication using LDAP and Shibboleth
- Proficiency with standard computer hardware and desktop applications, including deployment
To Apply. To apply for this position please go to Tulane University Jobs IRC12382. To ensure full consideration, applicants must submit a letter of application, resume, and the names with full contact information of at least three professional references. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until a suitable candidate is selected.
Tulane University is an AA/EO Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Tulane is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled employer.