UCF Libraries is looking for a librarian passionate about curriculum collections and outreach to serve as department head for the Curriculum Materials Center. The CMC, which is housed in the Education Building, is an updated facility highly used by students and valued by the Education faculty.
Head, Curriculum Materials Center
University of Central Florida Libraries
University Libraries seeks a service-oriented, energetic, and program-directed individual to lead and administer all aspects of the University of Central Florida (UCF) Curriculum Materials Center (CMC). The CMC operates in a 5,500 square foot facility located in the College of Education and Human Performance (CEDHP) on the main UCF campus. Resources include 36,000 print volumes, full production lab including 3D printer, interactive whiteboards, and die-cutting machine, 27 PC workstations, group study rooms, total seating for 76, and a full array of online resources and instructional materials. For more information please see http://library.ucf.edu/CMC/.
- Envisioning short and long term goals and working closely with CMC team and others to implement them;
- Designing, delivering, and assessing programs and instruction;
- Developing a collection of instructional materials that aligns with offered programs;
- Maintaining a current standardized test collection that adheres to guidelines established by the publisher;
- Supervising three full-time staff plus student assistants;
- Administering collection and student assistant budgets;
- Providing outreach/liaison services to the CEDHP.
The department head is responsible for proactively integrating CMC services and resources into the teacher education program through programming, orientations, instruction and outreach, and contributing to program accreditation reports. Duties also may include outreach to area schools and the community, delivering professional development opportunities, providing library instruction for identified CEDHP departments and programs, collection development for CEDHP departments, and research consultations which may require working nights and weekends. The successful candidate will serve as a member of the library’s planning and policy-making team and also may serve on CEDHP committees. The position reports to the Associate Director for Research, Education, and Engagement.
- Master’s degree from an American Library Association-accredited institution;
- At least three years post-MLS academic library experience.
- Degree in Education;
- Experience in a university curriculum resource center or media center;
- Knowledge of school curriculum resources (PK-12);
- Knowledge of current pedagogical and curriculum practices;
- Demonstrated ability to integrate new technologies in a laboratory environment;
- Successful library instruction experience;
- Leadership skills;
- Supervisory experience;
- Ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, and students in a team environment;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, human relations skills, and the ability to work with diverse groups;
- Comfort in collaborating with college administration and faculty to develop collegial relationships;
- Knowledge of or interest in emerging areas within academic libraries, such as textbook affordability, open access publishing, and curriculum mapping;
- A record of ongoing professional activities and participation.
Environment: The University of Central Florida is a research university located 13 miles east of downtown Orlando. With more than 64,000 students, UCF is the largest university by enrollment in Florida and one of the largest universities in the nation. The University offers 95 bachelor’s, 86 master’s and 31 doctoral degree programs, and it leads all universities in Florida in conferring more than 15,000 degrees a year. The College of Education and Human Performance is the sixth largest of UCF’s 12 colleges, enrolling 3,753 undergraduate and 1,654 graduate students.
The UCF Libraries houses a collection of 2.2 million volumes and 44,000 serials, and serves as a partial depository for government documents and patents. Full-time staffing of 116 includes 44 faculty. For more information about the UCF Libraries see http://library.ucf.edu and http://library.ucf.edu/about/departments/administration/facts-figures/administrationfacts-about-the-libraries/.
Salary and Rank: Commensurate with experience and qualifications. This is a twelve month, non-tenure track faculty position with insurance and retirement benefits, 22 paid annual days, 13 sick days, 9 holidays, and no state income tax.
To Apply: For position number 37727 complete the online application at http://www.jobswithucf.com/postings/50698 by the close date of September 28, 2017. In addition, submit a letter of application addressing the stated qualifications, a full curriculum vitae, and contact information for three current professional references. Please have all documents ready when applying so they can be attached at that time. Once the online submission process is finalized, the system does not allow applicants to submit additional documents at a later date.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Questions may be directed to Search Chair, Rachel Mulvihill, atRachel.email@example.com or UCF Human Resources: Talent@ucf.edu or 407-823-2771. Searches are conducted in accordance with the state of Florida open-records laws. UCF is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, including minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities. As a Florida public university, UCF makes all application materials and selection procedures available to the public upon request.