Team Lead, Social Sciences
http://jobs.hr.tufts.edu/ Job Number: 17001340
Tisch Library at Tufts University is seeking a dynamic, team-oriented librarian to provide leadership for and work collaboratively with a highly talented group of social sciences librarians in the Research & Instruction (R&I) department. R&I consists of three disciplinary teams (Sciences & Engineering, Social Sciences, and Arts & Humanities) and the Digital Design Studio, and is responsible for working with students, faculty, and staff to incorporate information literacy into the curriculum; designing and delivering course-based and open workshops; providing research consultation services; and developing new services and programs to support teaching, learning, research, and scholarship at Tufts.
Reporting to the Assistant Director, Research and Instruction, the Team Lead for Social Sciences provides leadership in the social sciences by coordinating team efforts to support students and faculty in the School of Arts and Sciences. This position supervises the social sciences librarians, promoting collegiality, providing mentorship, and fostering a responsive and user-oriented team.
The Team Lead is responsible for conducting ongoing needs assessment and engagement with the community to develop and maintain a robust and integrated set of programs and activities that strengthen the library’s role in supporting teaching and research in the social sciences, including liaising with the Edwin Ginn Library, which supports the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy.
Collaborating with the Team Leads for Sciences & Engineering and Arts & Humanities and the Supervisor of the Digital Design Studio, this position will play a key role in supporting departmental strategic initiatives, including pedagogy, user experience, assessment, and outreach.
As a participant in the library liaison program, this position will provide liaison services for two or more departments in the social sciences. This work will include outreach and collection development, as well as provide instruction for the First-Year Writing program and serve scheduled shifts at the Research Hub, providing point-of-need research assistance.
Tufts University is student-centered research university that cultivates an environment of curiosity, creativity, and engagement. The Tisch Library is on the Medford/Somerville campus, just outside Cambridge, MA, and with proximity to all that the Boston Metro area has to offer.
- Master’s degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited program, or equivalent.
- Minimum of five years of experience working in an academic library.
- Experience with library research tools relevant to the social sciences.
- Experience teaching information literacy in an academic library or higher education setting.
- Demonstrated leadership ability.
- Knowledge and understanding of best practices, current issues, and trends in teaching information literacy skills and behaviors.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Strong commitment to outstanding public service.
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment as well as take initiative on independent projects.
- Ability to work effectively with a culturally diverse community.
- Supervisory experience.
- Additional advanced degree in the social sciences.
- Experience with creating digital learning objects, tutorials, or modules.
- Knowledge of the issues and trends in the scholarship of teaching and learning in higher education.
- Experience with project management, including planning, communication, and assessment.
- Collection development experience.
Review of applications will begin July 5, 2017. Screening of applications will continue until the position is filled or the search is closed.
Head of Scholarly Communications & Collections, Tisch Library