To apply, please visit: https://www.ashland.edu/administration/content/library-director
Ashland University invites applications for a Library Director, effective August 2017. The University seeks a library professional with a vision for innovative learning environments and the skill to effectively administer the library.
Ashland University is a mid-sized, private university with undergraduate enrollment of 2,400 students, while total enrollment, including graduate programs and off-campus centers, is 6,500. Ashland University (www.ashland.edu) is conveniently located a short distance from Akron, Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio. The University values the individual student and offers a unique educational experience that combines the challenge of strong, applied academic programs with a faculty and staff who build nurturing relationships with their students. As a member of the OhioLINK consortia, Ashland University has borrowing privileges at over 100 libraries throughout Ohio.
Essential Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops, communicates and implements a vision of library priorities, services and strategic directions compatible with the mission of Ashland University.
- Coordinates the development and implementation of the Library’s strategic plan.
- Reviews and modifies the library processes to ensure efficient, cost-effective and quality services.
- Plans for and develops policies, procedures, services and resources to meet the curricular needs of the academic colleges and the University.
- Attends OhioLINK Independent Directors meetings, in person or remotely, to keep current on OhioLINK resources and procedures.
- Supervises the Library building to ensure facilities are safe, accessible, effective and inviting.
- Provides direct supervision of professional library staff; develops job descriptions, formulates performance standards, conducts evaluations and initiates personnel actions.
- Provides leadership for budgetary development, and budgetary management.
- Collaborates with campus IT department to ensure provisions of library resources and services.
- Serves as copyright officer for the library.
- Accepts the rights and responsibilities of a Faculty, Librarian as outlined in the Faculty Rules and Regulations.
- Provides reference service as needed and participates in the rotation schedule for evening and/or weekend reference.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Provost or Associate Provost.
- Position Requirements:
- Master of Library Science degree from an ALA-accredited program, plus five (5) years of progressively responsible leadership in a library.
- Proven ability to effectively manage budgets, projects and tasks.
- Proficiency with common online library software and applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current and emerging trends in libraries.
- Commitment to team development and to open collaboration with all University units and OhioLINK.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to manage very detailed processes.
- Evening hours or weekend work should be expected.
Ashland University meets fully its obligation of nondiscrimination under federal and state laws and is actively committed to diversity in its workplace. Employment will require a criminal background check.
Applicants may apply online or submit a cover letter, CV, and three professional references to:
Curriculum Librarian, Head of the Instructional Resource Center
Ashland University Library
509 College Avenue
Ashland, Ohio 44805