Chemical and Biological Sciences Librarian
University of Houston
Responsibilities: The University of Houston Libraries seeks a collaborative, innovative librarian to serve as the liaison to the departments of Biology & Biochemistry and Chemistry in the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. Both departments grant bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral degrees, providing many opportunities to work with undergraduate and graduate students, faculty, and researchers in the areas of instruction, collection development, outreach, and research support. As a member of the Science Team within the Liaison Services Department, the successful candidate will have an opportunity to contribute to shared initiatives across science and engineering disciplines and collaborate with health science librarians and other liaisons on projects that support the development of a new Health Sciences Library and its services. The successful candidate will also have an opportunity to build expertise and services as part of UH Libraries effort to advance digital research services, with an emphasis on bioinformatics and digital research tools related to the sciences.
Librarians hold academic rank pursuant to the University of Houston Librarians’ Bylaws. They are expected to develop a record of service, scholarship, and professional involvement. The UH Libraries support the ongoing professional development of librarians and our goal is to recruit librarians committed to continuous learning.
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program
- Demonstrated excellent communication skill and strong service orientation
- Ability to work strategically in a complex, changing environment
- Proven capacity to work effectively and collegially in teams with staff at all levels as well as faculty and students.
- Degree or significant coursework in the natural sciences with an emphasis on biology and/or chemistry; or professional experience relevant to the natural sciences in an academic research library
- Demonstrated awareness of faculty and graduate student needs at a research institution; or demonstrated awareness of the scientific research process, including the impact of emerging digital tools and methodologies on that process
- Experience in library instruction and assessment
- Experience in collection development
- Project management and analytical skills
- Demonstrated initiative and creativity
- Demonstrated knowledge of or experience with bioinformatics tools
Salary: $58,000 to 60,000 expected hiring range, depending on qualifications. Comprehensive benefits package; choice of retirement programs including TIAA-CREF; tax-deferred annuity program available; release time to take a class up to 3 hours/week; no state or local income tax.
Application Deadline: The position is available after September 1, 2017. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Applications should be submitted at: http://jobs.uh.edu/postings/33981
Please also visit the University of Houston Libraries Employment page for more information: http://info.lib.uh.edu/about/employment
Appointment to this position is contingent on the results of a completed criminal history records investigation.
THE UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. MINORITIES, WOMEN, VETERANS AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.