Assistant Director, Science & Engineering Branch Libraries (Job# 74516)
The Assistant Director for Stanford’s Science & Engineering Branch Libraries supervises the Terman Engineering Library and the Robin Li & Melissa Ma Science Library, two large branches in the Science and Engineering Resource Group (SERG). The Assistant Director oversees a staff of 7.0 FTE librarians, 6.75 FTE library support staff, and student assistants in developing collections and providing library services to the faculty, staff and students in a variety of STEM disciplines, and participates in the senior management for Stanford’s Science & Engineering Resource Group. The services of these libraries emphasize the support of research and instruction in a highly interdisciplinary academic environment. The Assistant Director is expected to develop a deep understanding of the needs of faculty and to work in concert with colleagues in SERG and in other Stanford University Libraries (SUL) units to develop and implement services that address their needs.
Stanford’s Science and Engineering Libraries are active innovators in the area of library services. Serving a world-class university with an aggressive digital collection strategy, our science and engineering libraries are redefining the nature of library services to be more focused on research needs. We are looking for a highly innovative individual with a strong academic background in engineering or the sciences who has a proven track record of developing information services that take advantage of information technology.
- Reporting to the AUL for the Science & Engineering Libraries, this position manages the Terman Engineering and Robin Li and Melissa Ma Science branch libraries; manages the staff of the two branches (7 FTE librarians, 6.75 FTE library specialists); supervises the librarians and operations managers; works in both branches; and, oversees the personnel and operating budgets for those branches (over $700,000 in FY’17).
- Works with the Assistant Director of Geospatial and Cartographic Services and the AUL for the SERG libraries as part of a senior management team to plan and implement STEM library services and collections.
- Develops and implements new research and educational support programs for the clientele of the Terman Engineering and Li & Ma Science Libraries.
- Coordinates liaison activities with the School of Engineering and the Departments of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, and Applied Physics.
- Develops and manages collections in assigned areas.
- Provides reference and research support within the sciences and engineering and across the entire Stanford community.
- Represents the Terman Engineering and Li & Ma Science branches within SERG on various library-wide committees and with the faculty and administration of Stanford University.
For full posting and further details:
(search Job Number: 74516)