Medical Center Library, University of Kentucky Libraries
Instructional Design and Nursing Liaison Librarian
The University of Kentucky Libraries Medical Center Library (MCL) seeks an experienced, dynamic and innovative Instructional Design and Nursing Liaison Librarian. The MCL supports the education, research, and clinical programs of the six UK health sciences colleges, UK Healthcare, as well as the wider interdisciplinary biomedical community of the University. Reporting to the Assistant Director, the Instructional Design and Nursing Liaison Librarian serves as a member of the Research, Education, and Clinical Services team. The incumbent is responsible for planning, promoting and providing a broad range of information services, including instruction, consultation, in-depth reference, and research support to faculty, staff, students, and researchers. In the role of Instructional Design Librarian, this position is expected to work with faculty, both internal and external to the MCL, to incorporate learning theory and instructional technologies to plan and develop tools and services in support of student information literacy and critical thinking skills. As liaison to the College of Nursing, this position will actively engage with users to develop and deliver course content to support teaching and learning in curriculum-integrated and library instruction settings. The incumbent will collaborate with faculty to identify opportunities, determine requirements, and select tools that will allow students to discover, access, and incorporate the library resources into course assignments. This position will investigate and anticipate the evolving needs of the nursing programs at UK, and leverage library expertise and identify new partnerships when opportunities arise. This includes assisting nursing faculty, staff, and students with information literacy, research data management needs, and scholarly communication activities. This position supports students and faculty in all nursing programs at locations affiliated with UK. As a member of the MCL faculty the Instructional Design and Nursing Liaison Librarian participates in planning and decision-making relating to library services, collections, and resources and also participates in UK Libraries-wide faculty activities. This is a full-time, 12- month, tenure-track position and requires scholarship and service that contributes to the effectiveness of UK Libraries, the university, and the profession.
* ALA-accredited graduate degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent advanced degree
* Minimum of two years of professional experience in a health sciences library
* Demonstrated familiarity with core health sciences resources
* Academic background, coursework, or experience with instructional design concepts
* Demonstrated ability to effectively use teaching/learning technologies; experience with technologies and tools that deliver e-learning content such as course/learning management systems, content capture tools, and presentation tools
* Demonstrated knowledge of evidence-based principles and its application to nursing
* Strong customer service orientation with excellent oral, written, analytical, interpersonal communication, presentation, and teaching skills
* Proficiency using EndNote or similar reference management software
* Self-motivation with demonstrated ability to work independently and as a contributing, collaborative member of a team to build strong relationships
* Demonstrated understanding of current issues in scholarly communication
* Demonstrated understanding of research data lifecycle, current issues in data management, and visualization of scholarship
* Ability to represent the library effectively and positively to diverse audiences
* Ability to meet the requirements of a tenure-track position through research, publication, and/or professional engagement
* Additional degrees and/or certification in either a biomedical field or instructional design, instructional technologies, or educational technologies
* Record of scholarship, teaching, and/or active membership in professional associations
* Undergraduate or graduate degree in a biomedical field
Position is a full-time, 12-month, tenure-track position.
The University of Kentucky is a public, land grant university of approximately 32,000 students, 3,500 faculty, and 15,000 staff dedicated to improving people’s lives through excellence in education, research and creative work, service, and health care. With over 200 academic programs across sixteen colleges and professional schools, the University plays a critical leadership role by promoting diversity, inclusion, economic development, and human well-being. Located in the beautiful bluegrass region of central Kentucky, the University of Kentucky Libraries includes the main William T. Young Library, Medical Center Library, Special Collections Research Center, Agricultural Information Center, Fine Arts Library, Design Library, Education Library, Transportation Library, Lexmark Library, and Science & Engineering Library. Combined library holdings total more than four million volumes. The system has a faculty of 60 and a support and professional staff of 108. UK Libraries currently uses the Ex Libris Alma and Primo systems. UK Libraries memberships include the Association of Research Libraries, LYRASIS, ASERL, and the Center for Research Libraries. UK is a regional depository for government publications.
To apply, interested applicants must complete a UK Online Academic Profile at http://ukjobs.uky.edu/postings/137679 and attach two documents: Curriculum vitae & Cover letter
Please include contact information for three references when prompted in the application. This information may be utilized to solicit recommendation letters for your references within the employment system.
If you have any questions, contact H/R employment, phone (859) 257-9555, press 2.
The application deadline is April 25th, 2017.