FAQs – General Questions

Who should I contact with Questions or Comments?

The Graduate Student Services Office (ischooladvisors@umd.edu) is the point of contact for advising, program requirements, and general questions. If need be he will refer questions to the Program Coordinator (Erin Zerhusen, ezerhus@umd.edu), but you should contact the advisor initially. 

How do I sign up for my UMD email account and directory ID?
To set up your account please visit: https://identity.umd.edu/?new_user
Be careful in selecting your userID as it will be your official email for the University of Maryland.

Where can I find my student ID number?
Your student ID number is listed on the bottom of your initial acceptance letter from the Graduate School. If you’ve misplaced your letter and have not yet set-up your UMD email account, you can call (301) 405-2038 or email ischooladmission@umd.edu.

Why do I need to get my student ID?
Your student ID serves as you library card and is used when you need to access resources like the University Health Center, and is needed to use the UMD shuttle system.

Where do I get my student ID?
You can get your ID on the First floor of the Mitchell Building on the College Park campus, 8:30-4:30pm Monday – Friday. Call (301) 314-8240 if you have additional questions.

How many days a week do classes meet?
Master’s level iSchool classes meet once a week.

Do you have weekend classes?
iSchool classes are held Monday through Thursday. Many online courses are held asynchronously, though, and would enable you to weekend-only coursework.

When are classes offered?
You may take classes during the Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer semesters. Course offerings will be posted on the university’s Schedule of Classes prior to the start of enrollment.

What time are classes held?
In general,courses are held from either 2:00-4:45PM or 6:00-8:45PM. Occasionally courses are held at other times per faculty request.

What days are classes held? When is the University closed? 
See the official University Academic Calendar.