Faculty Spotlight: Renee Hill

Dr. Renee F. Hill is a Senior Lecturer in the iSchool and the Director of the School Library and Youth Experience specializations. She is from Houston, TX but she grew up in Fort Lauderdale, FL. She holds a BA in Exceptional Education from Florida Atlantic University and an MLIS and a PHD from Florida State University.

What brought you to the University of Maryland?

The perfect position was advertised so I took a chance!

What is your research interest?

My research and teaching focus on examining methods for increasing understanding of diversity issues in Library and Information Studies. This includes examining information needs and information access as they relate to diverse populations (e.g., members of various racial/ethnic groups, individuals with disabilities).

What project is taking up the most of your time right now? Can you tell us a little about it?

Since I’m relatively new to the iSchool, most of my time and energy are spent getting up to speed on the “rules and regs” regarding the school library specialization and making sure that my classes are engaging and informative.

What made you choose a career in information?

I have always been passionate about learning, discovering new information, and helping other people to find answers. I was that kid who assigned herself homework!

What excites you most about the information profession?

I love the fact that the “information profession” is so broad and inclusive of a variety of topics. There are always new things to explore.

One piece of advice for current students. 

Never. Stop. Learning.

What is your favorite place in the DMV to grab a bite to eat?

I cannot get enough of the food at Busboys and Poets

What are you watching on TV/Netflix right now?

I’m obsessed with Netflix’s drama “Wentworth.”

What is the most interesting job title you’ve ever held?

Mommy

What is your most unique award/achievement?

I’m not sure if it’s unique, but I’m most proud of having won the Professor of the Year award at a previous institution. I was blown away at the thought that students valued my interactions with them enough to vote for me.

What is in your refrigerator right now?

The basics (eggs, milk, juice) and LOTS of containers filled with leftovers that we’re afraid to peek into.

Closing thoughts?

Two quotes, both by Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. serve as guiding principles for my life: 1. “The time is always right to do what is right.” 2. “Life’s most persistent and urgent question is ‘what are you doing for others?'” I think the second one speaks directly to the mission of the information profession.

This semester, Renee teaches LBSC620 Diverse Populations, Inclusion, and Information and INST650 Facilitating Youth Learning in Formal and Informal Environments. You can reach her at rfhill@umd.edu and her office is located in Hornbake 4121A.