Valencia College – East Campus has extended its search for an Emerging Technologies Librarian. Valencia College supports creativity and camaraderie. We strive for greatness as demonstrated with our winning the inaugural 2011 Aspen Prize for Excellence from the Aspen Institute. Please consider becoming part of our team.
For full details, please visit Valencia College’s employment listing: https://valenciacollege.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=4043
Closing Date: Wednesday April 12, 2017 at 7:00 PM EST
Emerging Technologies Librarian
Pay Grade: Faculty
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Class Code: F2002
Position Category: Faculty
A dynamic, innovative, and experienced librarian to encourage student success through the delivery of Valencia’s college wide library resources and to support students and faculty engaged in online instruction, extended programs and distance learning. Reporting to the Campus Dean, Learning Support, the position will be a tech-savvy, curious, service-oriented librarian with the skills to investigate and implement innovative technologies and learning services in a fast-paced, student-centered, collaborative environment. Problem-solving and effective teamwork skills are essential for this position.
The position will be responsible for supporting the college wide instructional program by assisting students, faculty, and staff in the use of the library and related information resources. Provides instruction to support the development of information literacy and critical thinking. Plans, organizes, teaches, and provides feedback to promote and direct student learning in keeping with Valencia’s learning- centered values and in a manner that meets the essential competencies of a Valencia educator. Engages students outside of class in support of the curriculum and co-curriculum; provides thorough, timely, and effective feedback to students regarding the mastery of course and program learning outcomes; develops curriculum and works collaboratively with colleagues to choose program and library resources, including collection development; assists in the implementation, development and evaluation of library services; participates in and/or leads the activities and governance of the discipline, division, campus, and college; and collaborates with relevant academic discipline and community partners in support of institutional effectiveness and student learning.
Essential Job Functions
- Investigate, manage and instruct the Valencia College Campus Libraries in the use of innovative, experimental and emerging library and digital technologies;
- Actively collaborate between Valencia College Campus Libraries, instructional designers and teaching faculty in the development and implementation of digital content and library/librarian support suitable for traditional, hybrid, and online course delivery;
- Develop college wide instructional programs and training materials promoting information literacy and critical thinking techniques. Participate in and contribute to curriculum development by planning, developing, and evaluating new and existing courses and curriculum, as applicable;
- Collect, analyze, interpret and report user experiences for use in the assessment of information literacy services;
5. Assist with digitization projects;
- Serve as a liaison to the Office of Information Technology (OIT); collaborate with OIT on the acquisition, installation, and maintenance of library technologies.
- Prepare and deliver instruction to students, faculty and staff in the use of information resources and technologies in various modalities (including individual, group, classroom, hybrid, online, etc.). Prepare instructional materials. Provide feedback and follow up on students’ progress;
- Participate in collection development activities. Assist in planning and developing ways to provide better access to information;
- Assist with library programming, events and other outreach activities;
- Participate in department meetings, serve on committees, and participate in other college activities and library organizations;
- Participate in short- and long-range planning for the library;
- Work closely with library staff and Dean of Learning Support to develop, implement, evaluate, and improve library services. Build partnerships and relationships among Valencia College Campus Libraries, as well as with others in the College community;
- Assist students, faculty, and staff in locating, evaluating and accessing information;
- Work nights and weekends as needed;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree [required] in Library Science from a regionally accredited college or university and an ALA-accredited program
- Course of Study in technology (preferred);
- Library and Information technology certificate (preferred)
- At least one year of instructional experience in an academic library setting;
- Experience in library instruction and conducting library research;
- Knowledge and experience with emerging digital and instructional technologies along with innovative library trends and technologies;
- Demonstrable ability to integrate mobile technologies in pedagogy;
- Commitment and ability to work effectively with diverse populations in a collegial environment;
- Ability to meet the College’s requirements for tenure;
- Knowledge of copyright, fair use, and related concepts in an online setting;
- Experience with Blackboard or other LMS.
Knowledge Skills Abilities
- Knowledge and understanding of learning-centered values.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of collection development and evaluation.
- Ability to design learning opportunities that promote student life skills development while enhancing discipline learning. Demonstrated understanding of developmental advising and competency-based learning (LifeMap).
- Ability to develop and implement diverse teaching and learning strategies that accommodate the learning styles of students and that promote both acquisition and applications of knowledge and understanding (Learning Centered Teaching Strategies).
- Ability to use consistent, timely formative and summative assessment measures to enhance learning.
- Ability to design learning opportunities that acknowledge, draw upon and are enriched by student diversity in the learning environment.
7. Ability to design and implement curriculum that aligns elements of student learning toward growth in the Student Core Competencies.
- Commitment to stay current and continually improve knowledge and understanding of the discipline.
- Ability to continuously examine the effectiveness of teaching, librarianship and assessment methodologies in terms of student learning by engaging in the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- Knowledge of, ability to develop, and commitment to use emerging technologies and alternative delivery methods appropriately, including online delivery, hybrid course options, content software, web-enhancements, etc.
- Skill in the use of personal computers, general office software, and related electronic resources.
12. Ability to provide guidance and direction to library staff and student workers.
- Ability to effectively communicate interpersonally (in group and one-on-one settings), orally, and in writing.