Staff Spotlight: Erin Zerhusen

Erin Zerhusen is the MLIS Program Coordinator in the iSchool. She holds a BA in History from Washington University in St. Louis and an MLS from the University of Maryland.

Where are you from?

Oof — this is a tough question for me. Washington, DC –> Baltimore, MD –> The Woodlands, TX –> London, England –> Baltimore, MD –> Houston, TX –> St. Louis, MO –> Denver, CO –> Washington, DC –> Baltimore, MD –> Las Vegas, NV –> Baltimore, MD. I used to say I was from Maryland when I didn’t live here…but I don’t count to real Marylanders!

What brought you to the University of Maryland?

I’m an alum and loved the program, so when the opportunity presented itself to work for it, I jumped

What project is taking up the most of your time right now? Can you tell us a little about it?

Admissions and planning out two new specializations for the program!

One piece of advice for current students. 

Network and ask questions! Take the opportunity when you’re a student to meet as many people as you can and learn as much as possible from them. Do extra internships, volunteer, read the literature, attend conferences, take whatever time you can spare to learn what you’re passionate about.

What is your favorite place in the DMV to grab a bite to eat?

My favorite restaurant in DC is Sakuramen in Adams Morgan. My favorite Baltimore spots are Lumbini (Nepalese and Indian cuisine) and Thai Landing.

Do you have any hidden talents?

I sing and play piano

What is the most interesting job title you’ve ever held?

I was a bouncer at a bar…

What is in your refrigerator right now?

Overnight oats and homemade bread!

Students should contact Erin with any questions or concerns about the MLIS program. You can reach her at ezerhus@umd.edu and her office is located in Hornbake 4121F.