Call for proposals: Endnotes – The Journal of the New Members Round Table

The NMRT Endnotes Committee seeks contributors for the Spring 2017 issue of Endnotes: The Journal of the New Members Round Table.

Endnotes is a peer-reviewed, scholarly journal that publishes articles of interest to early career librarians (including LIS students, recent graduates and newer members of the Association).  Current LIS students and recent graduates are particularly encouraged to submit manuscripts for consideration.

→ Why should I publish?

Publishing with Endnotes is an accessible way for any early career librarian (including LIS students, recent graduates and newer members of the Association) to gain experience publishing in a peer-reviewed, scholarly journal.

[W]hile seeking my MLIS… [a] professor offered to take a class paper and co-author with myself and my group partner.  This experience has not only informed my professional and publishing career as an Academic Librarian but gave me confidence to apply for jobs with scholarly research expectations. – Tina Budzise-Weaver, published inEndnotes 2016

Having scholarly articles published  so early in my career definitely helped me stand out in my job applications. In job interviews, I was able to confidently address my ability to fulfill scholarship requirements because I already had a history of scholarship.  – Tammy Ivins, published in Endnotes 2014

[B]eing able to publish my first article while still in graduate school was an unbelievable confidence booster. To go through the process of peer review, and to feel so supported by the editorial staff, makes me want to continue to publish for the rest of my career. I was able to add it to my institutional repository, and I can see that to date 26 readers from 12 countries have read it. – Kim Myers, published in Endnotes 2016

→ Should I submit my article to Endnotes?

Topics that might be appropriate for Endnotes include, but are not limited to:

• Training and mentoring
  • Job searching or hiring
  • Developing leadership and management skills
  • Library instruction and assessment
  • Librarian responsibilities: hiring, promotion, and tenure
  • Developing new collections or services

Those interested in discussing an article idea are encouraged to contact the Editors at nmrtendnotesjournal@gmail.com to determine if the proposal fits the publication’s scope. 

Current LIS students and recent graduates may find inspiration by reading “Upcycling MSLS Coursework into Publishable Content”, a 2014 Endnotes article.  The Endnote Editors are also glad to provide mentorship and support for your article development process.  

→ How do  I submit my article to Endnotes?

Articles should range from 2,000 – 4,000 words and present original research, practitioner-based research, literature review / meta-analysis of existing literature, or case studies relevant to LIS students or new library professionals.

Submissions are accepted throughout the year, but articles received by February 15, 2017 will receive guaranteed consideration for the Spring 2017 issue.

For more information about Endnotes, including complete submission guidelines, please visit ala.org/nmrt/oversightgroups/comm/schres.

What else could I write, besides a scholarly article?

Endnotes also includes book and media reviews (300 – 500 words).

Those interested in reviewing are encouraged to contact the Editors at nmrtendnotesjournal@gmail.com to be included on the reviewers’ mailing list. Approved reviewers will receive periodic announcements of books and websites for review.

Sincerely,

Tammy Ivins & Josh Rimmer
Chairs, NMRT Endnotes Committee