NYU Division of Libraries is seeking a Metadata Programmer/Analyst Specialist. Based in the Knowledge Access and Resource Management Services (KARMS), this position reports to the Head of Resource Management. KARMS facilitates the teaching, learning, and research endeavors of the Libraries’ user communities through processes and services in program areas that include library acquisitions, serials and electronic resource management, knowledge access design and development, and metadata production and management. In collaboration with our colleagues in Collections and Research Services, Public Services, Libraries IT Services, and Digital Library Technology Services, KARMS has primary leadership responsibility for knowledge access via the Libraries’ dynamic, integrated discovery and access systems. In addition to serving NYU’s central libraries, institute libraries, and global sites, KARMS provides selected services to the Research Library Association of South Manhattan member libraries and other affiliated libraries.
- Develop, implement, document, evaluate, and routinize automated electronic-resource processing workflows.
- Analyze, design, and implement scripts and methods for electronic-resource metadata processing, transformation, and ingest.
- Collaborate with colleagues to optimize integrated workflows.
- In consultation with KARMS department heads and supervisors, lead the development and implementation of a coordinated metadata strategy for NYU Libraries’ electronic resources that includes managing catalog record supply chains, multiple processing streams, and knowledge base management activities.
- Monitor, evaluate and maintain technical services specifications with service providers.
- Coordinate the distribution of e-resource workflows for metadata management and routine troubleshooting to Resource Management staff.
- Assist with the preparation of management reports and the provision of statistical and budget analyses related to electronic resources.
- Participate in electronic resource use studies conducted by NYU Libraries.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information science, library science, or related field.
- Minimum of three years related experience or combination of education and experience;
- demonstrated experience in developing and implementing complex workflows;
- experience performing data analysis on a variety of data formats;
- experience writing scripts in common scripting languages such as Perl, PHP, bash, Python, or Ruby; experience with XML and XSLT;
- experience working in Linux/Unix server environments.
- Knowledge of database architecture and SQL;
- excellent analytical, communication and interpersonal skills;
- excellent planning and organizational skills;
- ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and establish appropriate priorities;
- ability to work productively on cross departmental teams.
- Demonstrated ability to document workflows and teach others.
Preferred Education & Experience:
- Experience working with electronic resource metadata enabling discovery and access in an academic or research library;
- experience with one or more of the suite of Ex Libris products (Primo, Aleph, Metalib, SFX);
- in-depth experience with library discovery and access systems, particularly those related to e-resource access such as OpenURL resolution systems.
- Knowledge of metadata standards, including MARC and Dublin Core;
- knowledge of library technology protocols such as OAI-PMH, Z39.5-, and SRU/W; experience with Lucene/Solr.
Application and resume must include a cover letter that reflects how your experience fits the position description.
For more information about working at NYU and to apply, visit our website at http://www.nyucareers.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=57365 Click on search positions and then search by position title or position number 20095509.
NYU offers a generous benefit and vacation package. NYU is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.